Separate, random hammer attacks in Quebec leave one dead, three injured

At least four people have been attacked with a hammer in separate incidents in Quebec, with one of the assaults turning fatal and likely leading to a murder charge.

MONTREAL — At least four people have been attacked with a hammer in separate incidents in Quebec, with one of the assaults turning fatal and likely leading to a murder charge.

A 19-year-old man was killed and two other people suffered head injuries following random attacks on Tuesday evening in Laval, just north of Montreal.

In that case, police arrested a 34-year-old man who was expected to face several charges, including murder, attempted murder and mischief.

Authorities found the hammer they believe was used.

Meanwhile, in Trois-Rivieres, a teenage girl was seriously injured after also being targeted with a hammer in an incident that happened at about the same time.

Const. Michel Letarte said a 911 call led police to the 14-year-old girl, who told authorities she’d been attacked by an unknown man from behind with a hammer.

“She had multiple injuries to her face and arms, but we don’t fear for her life,” Letarte said.

Trois-Rivieres police arrested a 56-year-old man on Wednesday in connection with the assault.

“It seems to be an isolated incident,” Letarte said.

On Wednesday, Laval police were canvassing a large crime scene where the attacks took place between 7 p.m. and 9 p.m. the previous evening.

Police say the victims appear to have been chosen at random.

“There are no links between him (the accused) and the three victims, there’s also no links between the three victims,” said Const. Franco Di Genova. “We’re talking about three separate cases.”

Di Genova said authorities arrested the suspect, who is known to local police, following eyewitness reports of someone smashing car windows.

Officers caught the suspect after a store business had its window smashed with a brick or rock, triggering an alarm.

Police used an electroshock weapon to arrest the man, who was agitated and transported to hospital, Di Genova said.

“Investigators confirmed his identity and also found pieces of identification of the victim (the man who died) on him,” Di Genova said.

His body was found in between two homes after his father had reported him missing.

The two other victims — a 41-year-old woman and a 61-year-old man — also suffered head wounds that were not considered life-threatening.

Just Posted

Witnesses describe scene of fatal 2016 collision

Delburne man on trial for manslaughter after being accused of causing collision

31 fentanyl deaths so far this year in Red Deer

23 fentanyl-related deaths in 2017

New housing for seniors under construction in Innisfail

60 lodge units and 30 self-contained apartments

WATCH: CP Holiday Train rolls into Lacombe

Kelly Prescott performed for hundreds of Central Albertans

WATCH: CP Holiday Train rolls into Lacombe

Kelly Prescott performed for hundreds of Central Albertans

Dumba scores twice, Wild rout Canadiens 7-1

ST. PAUL, Minn. — Reeling and banged up, the Minnesota Wild were… Continue reading

Coach Hunter wants up-tempo Team Canada as world junior squad hits ice

COLWOOD, B.C. — Team Canada coach Tim Hunter says the team that… Continue reading

Study finds female-led films outperform male ones

NEW YORK — A study organized by Time’s Up, the organization formed… Continue reading

Price Is Right contestant wins winter trip to Winnipeg, Churchill

WINNIPEG — Who wants to visit Winnipeg in the dead of winter?… Continue reading

CBC Gem streaming service to launch exclusive content, partners with Wattpad

TORONTO — The CBC has launched a new streaming service featuring live… Continue reading

‘Part of the solution:’ Alberta seeks proposals to build new refinery

EDMONTON — Alberta is looking for someone to build a new oil… Continue reading

Online ads spoil Christmas surprises, raising privacy concerns: experts

Lisa Clyburn knew she had found the perfect gift for her nine-year-old… Continue reading

Most Read