Red Deer RCMP is reminding motorists to drive with caution, as there has been a sharp increase in the number of reported collisions.
“In the past two days, multiple collisions have been reported to police,” said Red Deer RCMP Cpl. Mike Evans.
“With the freeze-thaw conditions, our roads are icy. We encourage drivers to slow down, give other vehicles extra space and use caution.”
Red Deer RCMP is offering the following advice to drivers:
- When approaching the scene of a collision, slow down and use extreme caution while passing emergency services personnel.
- If you witnessed a collision, your information may be valuable to investigators. Please stop and provide your contact information to the driver(s) of the vehicles involved.
- If there is a serious injury or fatality, call 911. If any involved vehicle is not drivable, if a driver fails to produce registration or insurance, or if impairment is suspected, call the RCMP Complaint Line at 403-406-2200. If the vehicles are drivable and the above factors are not applicable, you you not need police at the scene.
- Exchange registration, insurance and drivers’ license information with the other driver(s). If you have a cell phone, take photographs of vehicle documentation, all involved vehicles and the collision location.
- A police report must be made in a timely manner after the collision if there appears to be combined damage over $2,000. If unsure, obtain an estimate first.
- Report the collision in person at the downtown Red Deer detachment. A collision report will need to be filled out, providing the valid insurance, registration, and drivers’ license information you exchanged with the other driver(s), damage to involved vehicles and the collision location.
- Victims of hit and run incidents are asked to report it to the police. If you see the other vehicle, record its make, model and license plate number.
- If you have caused damage to a parked vehicle, please leave a note with your name and phone number. Additionally, if you are involved in any collision and it is not possible to exchange information, please make note of the date, time, location, and vehicle information, and attend a police detachment to report.