A man suffered minor injuries when a space heater caught fire in a Red Deer County house just east of the city on Thursday morning.
Lou Novak, 65, who rents the home at 26746 Township Road 382, said he was watching TV about 9 a.m. when he heard a shout of “fire” from a bedroom being shared by his daughter and boyfriend, who were living with him temporarily.
Novak said he ran outside and got a bucket of snow and threw it on the flames that were already reaching from floor to ceiling.
The others got water from the kitchen and they managed to put out the fire in about 15 minutes. The boyfriend suffered minor burns to his feet when he stepped on some melted plastic.
Novak was told a dog had pulled a blanket onto the space heater.
Part of the room was scorched in the fire but it did not spread to any other parts of the house.
Red Deer County Fire Department was on scene on Thursday afternoon investigating.