Stuckless guilty of two counts of gross indecency

Months after pleading guilty to 100 charges related to the sexual abuse of 18 boys, the man at the centre of the Maple Leaf Gardens sex scandal was convicted Wednesday in two more charges linked to two of those victims.

TORONTO — Months after pleading guilty to 100 charges related to the sexual abuse of 18 boys, the man at the centre of the Maple Leaf Gardens sex scandal was convicted Wednesday in two more charges linked to two of those victims.

Gordon Stuckless was found guilty of two counts of gross indecency but acquitted on two counts of buggery.

Stuckless had contested all four charges even though he admitted as part of his guilty plea to committing other types of abuse against the same victims decades ago. He also fought four other charges but those were withdrawn during trial.

Stuckless’s lawyer, Ari Goldkind, said his client has owned up to the “horrible acts” he’s committed but buggery — a charge that no longer exists and refers to sodomy — simply wasn’t one of them.

“This is not viewed as a win. There are people’s lives involved in this case that have been horribly ruined forever from the time they were young to the suffering that they have today,” Goldkind said outside the courthouse.

“So this is not a victory — this is, as her honour said, a legal test and a legal distinction and that’s the way our system of law operates.”

Stuckless pleaded guilty in 1997 to sex assaults on two dozen boys while he was an usher at Maple Leaf Gardens.

He was forced back in the spotlight last year when police announced fresh charges against him in alleged incidents dating back decades.

The Crown is expected to seek a dangerous offender designation, which Stuckless’s lawyer says is not warranted because his client has abided by the law since his previous convictions and voluntarily undergoes chemical castration.

Michael McTague, one of the victims in the 1997 case, said he’s disappointed by Wednesday’s acquittal but remains hopeful his abuser will be labelled a dangerous offender.

“He should have been taken off the streets a long time ago but he wasn’t,” he said.

Just Posted

These blues will get you dancing: The Overdue Blues Band performs in Red Deer Saturday

Calgary’s Brother Ray Lemelin Band is also on Elks Lodge bill

Tree planting volunteers needed at Ellis Bird Farm

Arbour Day activities at Ellis Bird Farm

Third pot store to open in May in Red Deer

Red Deerians will soon have a third pot store to patronize. Fire… Continue reading

Gardening: Time and effort key to buying garden plants

Greenhouses, garden centers and box stores are set to start selling bedding… Continue reading

Montreal native Nicholas Latifi off to solid start on Formula 2 race circuit

Practice makes perfect for Canadian Nicholas Latifi. The 23-year-old Montreal auto racer… Continue reading

Bruins victory over Leafs ensures an American team will hoist the Stanley Cup

TORONTO — Many NHL players were either not yet born or too… Continue reading

Swole, buzzy, among new words in Merriam-Webster dictionary

BOSTON — Get swole, prepare a bug-out bag, grab a go-cup and… Continue reading

Garner graces cover of People’s annual ‘Beautiful Issue’

NEW YORK — Jennifer Garner graces the front of this year’s “Beautiful… Continue reading

Updated: Joshua Arthur Sanford has been found, says RCMP

37-year-old Ponoka man last seen on Tuesday morning

Inspired by a galaxy far, far away, these ‘Star Wars’ mementos could be yours forever

CHICAGO —The stuff of “Star Wars” —and there is unfortunately no better… Continue reading

Shoppers Drug Mart launches second online medical pot portal in Alberta

TORONTO — Medical cannabis users in Alberta can now get their therapeutic… Continue reading

Most Read