Persistent problems with hot coals being carelessly disgarded has led to a charcoal barbecue ban in Sylvan Lake parks.
Town council voted Monday night to ban charcoal barbecues because of safety concerns. Barbecues using propane are still allowed.
Sylvan Lake communications officer Joanne Gaudet said there are containers designed for hot coals available and most people were using them.
But a few “inconsiderate and irresponsible” park users were leaving the coals where someone could unwittingly step on them and burn or cut their feet. The town had received a number of complaints.
“It was just one of those things where we wanted to nip it in the bud before it becomes a serious health issue,” said Gaudet.
Town staff had recommended a total ban on charcoal barbecues, rather than setting aside designated areas where they could be used. That approach could prove confusing and difficult to enforce, they said.