Quebec’s labour board says temporary foreign workers from Guatemala were exploited, abused and threatened. (File photo contributed)

Temporary foreign workers from Guatemala abused by Quebec company: labour board

MONTREAL — Quebec’s labour board has ordered a job-placement agency to pay more than $300,000 to temporary foreign workers from Guatemala after it ruled the company exploited, abused and threatened them.

In an Oct. 18 decision, the tribunal awarded each of the 11 Guatemalan workers between $25,000 and $35,000, but they will likely not see the money because the company closed shop during the legal proceedings.

The 11 male workers arrived in Quebec through the federal temporary worker program and were contracted to work in the agricultural sector for a specific company.

But the job-placement agency convinced the workers to leave by offering them better working conditions, more money and by falsely claiming such a move was legal.

The 11 men claimed they were psychologically harassed, lied to, forced to work without pay — sometimes for 24 hours consecutively — and repeatedly insulted and threatened.

The placement agency, Entreprise de placement Les Progres Inc. of Victoriaville, Que., denied the accusations, but the tribunal found the company’s version of events wasn’t credible.

Administrative judge France Giroux concluded the 11 men were victims of psychological harassment during a period of between six weeks and 18 months and their rights had been violated.

Each worker was awarded $5,000 in punitive damages and between $20,000 and $30,000 each for moral damages.

“These actions violated their dignity, their psychological integrity and created a harmful work environment,” Giroux said in her ruling.

Get local stories you won't find anywhere else right to your inbox.
Sign up here

Just Posted

Artist Nathan Scott’s The Face-off is one of Red Deer’s most recent public artworks. It was installed at Servus Arena. (Advocate file photo.)
Red Deer city council opts to leave public art selection to a commission

Only projects costing at least $1 million will now trigger art component

Alice Kolisnyk, deputy director of the Red Deer Food Bank, says the agency expects an increase in demand as the COVID-19 pandemic continues. Every new subscription to the Red Deer Advocate includes a $50 donation to the food bank. (Photo by BYRON HACKETT/Advocate Staff)
Support the food bank with a subscription to the Red Deer Advocate

The community’s most vulnerable members are always in need of a hand,… Continue reading

The Red Deer Regional Hospital Centre could be affected by cuts to Alberta Health Services announced by the government Tuesday. (Photo by BYRON HACKETT/Advocate Staff)
David Marsden: Yes, we know how to do laundry

Union leaders would have us believe there’s something special about their members:… Continue reading

FILE - In this Jan. 15, 2019, file photo, members of South Korean K-pop group TWICE pose for photos on the red carpet at the Seoul Music Awards at Gocheok Sky Dome in Seoul, South Korea. TWICE, a popular K-pop group known for its catchy lyrics and colorful aesthetics, released its second full album, a collection that invites listeners into the band’s more daring side. “Eyes Wide Open,” released Monday, Oct. 26, 2020, has 13 songs, including the lead single “I Can’t Stop Me.” (AP Photo/Lee Jin-man, File)
K-pop band TWICE reveals its daring side on new album

Half a decade of experience under their belt

In this video grab issued Sunday, Aug. 30, 2020, by MTV, The Weeknd performs “Blinding Lights” during the MTV Video Music Awards. (MTV via AP)
Los Angeles Rams cornerback Troy Hill (22) tips a pass in the end zone intended for Chicago Bears wide receiver Darnell Mooney (11) during the second half of an NFL football game Monday, Oct. 26, 2020, in Inglewood, Calif. The ball was caught by Rams safety Taylor Rapp, behind, for a touchback. (AP Photo/Ashley Landis )
Rams dominate matchup of tough defences, beat Bears 24-10

Rams dominate matchup of tough defences, beat Bears 24-10

Matthew Raymond, charged with four counts of first degree murder, is taken from provincial court in Fredericton, N.B., on December 11, 2018. THE CANADIAN PRESS/Andrew Vaughan
Mother of Fredericton shooter says she often advised him to see a doctor for help

Mother of Fredericton shooter says she often advised him to see a doctor for help

Most Read