File photo by THE CANADIAN PRESS Canada made a formal offer earlier this week to have more than six dozen containers of Canadian household trash returned to the Port of Vancouver from a port near Manila.

The great Canada-Philippines diplomatic garbage dispute of 2019 seems almost over

OTTAWA — Canada’s garbage is coming home from the Philippines.

A spokesman for Global Affairs Canada told The Canadian Press on Thursday Canada made a formal offer earlier this week to have more than six dozen containers of Canadian household trash returned to the Port of Vancouver. The containers arrived in a port near Manila in 2013 and 2014 improperly labelled as plastics for recycling, and have sat in limbo ever since while the two countries disagreed about how they should be disposed of.

The Philippines’ Bureau of Customs found that the containers contained only about one-third plastics that could be recycled. The rest was mostly household garbage and electronic waste, including used adult diapers and kitchen scraps.

The Canadian offer came around the same time as the Philippines ordered its Bureau of Customs to get the containers back on a ship bound for Canada no later than May 15.

“We’ve recently made an offer to quickly repatriate the waste back to Canada for disposal and we await a formal response from the Philippines government,” said spokesman Adam Austen.

The developments move the two countries closer to a solution to the diplomatic dispute that has seen Canada spend nearly six years trying to get the Philippines to deal with the trash there. The Filipino government pushed back, arguing the shipments were a violation of the Basel Convention, an international treaty forbidding developed nations to dump their waste on the developing world.

Last month, Filipino President Rodrigo Duterte threatened to declare war on Canada if it didn’t take back its trash and set this week as a deadline for an end to the impasse.

His spokesman later said the threat of war was just a figure of speech to underscore how upset Duterte is about the matter but the Philippines did suggest 70 years of bilateral relations with Canada were at risk because of the trash.

Duterte’s foreign secretary Teodoro Locsin is giving him a run for his money on his combativeness, though, saying on Twitter this week that the government will “nail” the Filipino company that imported the trash to begin with.

He said he was going to “reject the suggestion to ship them out in a container of garbage,” however, because “that’s too much pollution.”

On Wednesday, Locsin said the garbage would leave the Philippines no later than May 15, “no ifs or buts.”

Prime Minister Justin Trudeau has been pushed about the garbage on two visits to the Philippines, in 2015 and 2017. He said the first time that Canada had no legal way to force the Canadian company to deal with the trash, then in 2017 said it was “theoretically” possible for Canada to do something.

But it was another year before a working group was established between Canada and the Philippines to sort out the matter. The central disagreement was over who would pay for the shipments, with Canada arguing it would only take responsibility once the containers were back in Canada. Canada has argued the Filipino importer should cover the return shipping costs.

Austen did not say what the details of the Canadian offer were, including who will pay for the garbage’s trip back across the Pacific or how much it will cost. Once it’s on Canadian soil, though, Environment and Climate Change Canada will be responsible for ensuring the waste gets disposed of properly.

Philippines

Get local stories you won't find anywhere else right to your inbox.
Sign up here

Just Posted

Trudeau caught in middle of clash over energy, environment, Indigenous demands

OTTAWA — The competing demands of natural resource development, environmental protection and… Continue reading

A rare miss for Walmart to end the year

NEW YORK — Walmart reported disappointing fourth-quarter profits and sales after a… Continue reading

Air Canada expects hit in Q1 of 2020 due to novel coronavirus and MAX grounding

MONTREAL — Air Canada says its first quarter is expected to be… Continue reading

Flight to evacuate Canadians from cruise ship ‘expected’ to depart Japan on Thursday

Canadians stranded on a quarantined cruise ship were told that a flight… Continue reading

Recollections of well-known families in Red Deer

Past and present families recognized on Family Day

Your community calendar

Feb. 19 A Liberation of Holland event is being held at the… Continue reading

Reader’s opinion: Here’s how Premier Kenney can build a stronger Alberta

Apparently, the UPC government has decided that most seniors should pay more… Continue reading

Canada’s Auger-Aliassime returns to top 20 after reaching Rotterdam final

Canada’s Felix Auger-Aliassime returned to the top 20 in the world rankings… Continue reading

Canadian teams looking strong at world junior curling championship

KRASNOYARSK, Russia — Winnipeg’s Jacques Gauthier posted two victories at the world… Continue reading

Canadian Weinstein accuser draws strength from #MeToo community, regardless of verdict

For years, Montreal actor Erika Rosenbaum says, she was harbouring a “secret”… Continue reading

‘Schitt’s Creek,’ ‘Anne with an E’ lead Canadian Screen Awards pack

TORONTO — It will be a celebrated ending for “Schitt’s Creek” and… Continue reading

Tournament of Hearts veteran skip Kerry Galusha curls through pain

MOOSE JAW, Sask. — If Kerry Galusha is skipping Northwest Territories at… Continue reading

Andrew Mangiapane scores first hat trick, leads Flames over Ducks 6-4

Flames 6 Ducks 4 CALGARY — Andrew Mangiapane was front and centre… Continue reading

Most Read