UAE foreign minister: No word on Qatari response to demands

ABU DHABI, United Arab Emirates — The United Arab Emirates’ top diplomat said on Tuesday that four Arab nations have yet to receive details on Qatar’s response to demands they made as part of a diplomatic crisis gripping the Persian Gulf.

Emirati Foreign Minister Abdullah bin Zayed Al Nahyan declined to say what action the countries may take against Qatar. The Emirates, Saudi Arabia, Bahrain and Egypt cut ties with Qatar early last month over its alleged support for extremist groups and ties with Iran.

Qatar denies supporting extremists and has defended its warm relations with Iran; the two countries share a massive undersea natural gas field.

Sheikh Abdullah’s comments suggest the countries are prepared to take further action against Qatar as a 48-hour extension of a deadline for Qatar to accept their conditions draws to a close.

“To defeat terrorism, we must confront extremism, we must confront hate speech, we must confront the harbouring and sheltering of extremists and terrorists, and funding them,” he said. “Unfortunately, we in this region see that our sister nation of Qatar has allowed and harboured and encouraged all of this.”

“Enough is enough,” he added.

The four countries cut off diplomatic ties to Qatar on June 5 and restricted its access to their airspace and ports while sealing its only land border, with Saudi Arabia. They issued a 13-point list of demands on June 22, giving Qatar 10 days to comply.

After the deadline expired early on Monday, the countries said they would give Qatar another 48 hours. The extension came at the request of Kuwait’s 88-year-old ruler, Sheikh Sabah Al Sabah, who has been trying to mediate, as he did during a similar dispute in 2014. That new deadline expires early Wednesday.

Qatar’s foreign minister, Sheikh Mohammed bin Abdulrahman Al Thani, travelled to Kuwait City on Monday carrying a handwritten note from Qatar’s ruler, Sheikh Tamim bin Hamad Al Thani, according to the state-run Kuwait News Agency.

Kuwaiti and Qatari officials have not responded to questions about what the Qatari letter said.

“We are still waiting for the response from our brothers in Kuwait regarding the paper they received from Qatar,” the Emirati foreign minister said.

“Once we examine it among ourselves, we will take the decision. … We will not do it through the media, but through a Kuwaiti mediator or our own direct contacts with His Highness,” he added, referring to the Qatari emir.

Bahrain, Egypt, Saudi Arabia and the UAE are scheduled to meet Wednesday in Cairo to discuss the crisis.

“Any steps taken by these countries in case Qatar fails to respond will be taken within the framework of international law, including the procedures that sovereign states have the right to take against another country,” Sheikh Abdullah said, without elaborating.

The nations could impose financial sanctions or force Qatar out of the Gulf Cooperation Council, a regional body known as the GCC that serves as a counterbalance to Iran.

Some Arab media outlets have suggested a military confrontation or a change of leadership in Qatar could be in the offing, but officials have said those options are not on the table.

The Emirati foreign minister spoke alongside German Foreign Minister Sigmar Gabriel, who said Germany supported the UAE’s efforts at confronting those who fund extremists.

“We now have this opportunity to reach good results for the benefit of the whole region. The matter is not related only to the sovereignty of Qatar,” Gabriel said. “We have to come back to common work at the GCC and for the Europeans this is a very important matter. For us, the GCC is the guarantor of stability and security in the region.”

Later Tuesday, the Kuwaiti emir dispatched an envoy from his court to the Qatari capital, Doha, with a letter for the Qatari ruler, Kuwait’s state news agency reported. It gave no details on the contents of the letter.

In Doha, with Gabriel at his side, the Qatari foreign minister criticized the four Arab nations for trying to isolate Qatar “under the banner of fighting terrorism.”

“When measures clothed in this context, it is because they think they will be met with international sympathy because they are ‘anti-terrorism’ measures,” he said.


Associated Press writers Malak Harb in Abu Dhabi, Hussain al-Qatari in Kuwait City and Maggie Hyde in Doha, Qatar, contributed to this report.


Follow Jon Gambrell on Twitter at . His work can be found at .

Jon Gambrell, The Associated Press


Photo by THE ASSOCIATED PRESS A black-and-white depiction of Qatar’s emir, Sheikh Tamim bin Hamad Al Thani, attracts signatures and comments of support from residents amid a diplomatic crisis between Qatar and neighboring Arab countries in Doha, Qatar, on Monday.

Just Posted

Fog advisory in place for Central Alberta

Near-zero visibility possible

Art Battle Red Deer to support Women of Excellence Awards

Art Battle Red Deer will be April 6 at the Radisson Hotel

Eliminating racial discrimination events in Red Deer this week

Two upcoming events aim to inspire change and eliminate racial discrimination in… Continue reading

Outfitter facing Wildlife Act charges

It is alleged archery-only hunting licences used out of season

Sunnybrook pies in demand

Just in time for Easter

WATCH: Red Deerians can have a say about crime fighting

Municipality will poll citizens about policing priorities

Calgary remains interested in 2026 bid, but awaits word from feds, province

Calgary city council approved a slate of moves towards a possible bid… Continue reading

Online threat to U.S. high school traced to girl, 14, in Canada, police say

American authorities say a 14-year-old girl in Canada has been charged with… Continue reading

Comedian Mike MacDonald remembered for gut-busting mental health advocacy

If laughter is the best medicine, then standup veteran Mike MacDonald was… Continue reading

The Weeknd, Bruno Mars to headline Lollapalooza in Chicago

CHICAGO — The Weeknd, Bruno Mars, Jack White and Arctic Monkeys will… Continue reading

No rest for the retired: Opioid crisis fills empty nests as grandparents step up

ST. JOHN’S, N.L. — She is a Newfoundland woman who worked hard… Continue reading

Duclos defends gender-neutral language amid criticism from opposition

MONTREAL — Families Minister Jean-Yves Duclos defended Service Canada’s decision to ask… Continue reading

Lawyer and negotiator: Thomas Molloy is new Saskatchewan lieutenant-governor

REGINA — Lawyer and negotiator Thomas Molloy has been sworn in as… Continue reading

Austin bombing suspect blows himself up as SWAT moves in

ROUND ROCK, Texas — The suspect in the deadly bombings that terrorized… Continue reading

Most Read

Five-day delivery plus unlimited digital access for $185 for 260 issues (must live in delivery area to qualify) Unlimited Digital Access 99 cents for the first four weeks and then only $15 per month Five-day delivery plus unlimited digital access for $15 a month