US hits China anew for rights abuses in western Xinjiang

US hits China anew for rights abuses in western Xinjiang

US hits China anew for rights abuses in western Xinjiang

WASHINGTON — The Trump administration took new aim at China on Friday by imposing sanctions on a major paramilitary organization in the country’s western Xinjiang region and its commander for alleged human rights abuses against ethnic and religious minorities.

The State and Treasury departments announced the penalties as the White House denounced authorities in Hong Kong for postponing local government elections ostensibly because of the coronavirus pandemic. Criticism of the election delay, which Beijing approved, also came just a day after President Donald Trump suggested putting off November’s U.S. presidential vote.

The sanctions, which freeze any assets the targets may have in U.S. jurisdictions and perhaps more significantly bar Americans from doing business with them, hit the Xinjiang Production and Construction Corps, its commander and former political commissar for alleged abuses against Uighur Muslims, including mass arbitrary detentions, forced labour and torture.

The production and construction corps is a major operation consisting of 14 military-style divisions that reports to the Chinese Communist Party and is in charge of billions of dollars in development projects in Xinjiang, including mining and energy exploration.

“The United States is committed to using the full breadth of its financial powers to hold human rights abusers accountable in Xinjiang and across the world,” Treasury Secretary Steven Mnuchin said in a statement. The sanctions were imposed under the Global Magnitsky Act, which provides authority for the administration to penalize human rights abusers abroad.

Secretary of State Mike Pompeo said the two officials targeted — the commander, Peng Jiarui, and the former commissar, Sun Jinlong — would also be subject to U.S. visa restrictions. The Trump administration has previously sanctioned other officials in Xinjiang subjecting them to travel bans.

Meanwhile, the White House lashed out at the postponement of the upcoming Hong Kong elections in comments likely to draw accusations of hypocrisy from China after Trump’s tweeted suggestion on Thursday that the U.S. elections be postponed to prevent fraud from mail-in ballots expected to flood the polls because of the virus outbreak.

“We condemn the Hong Kong government’s decision to postpone for one year its legislative council elections and to disqualify opposition candidates,” White House press secretary Kayleigh McEnany said. “This action undermines the democratic processes and freedoms that have underpinned Hong Kong’s prosperity and this is only the most recent in a growing list of broken promises by Beijing.”

Earlier Friday, Hong Kong leader Carrie Lam announced the government was invoking an emergency ordinance to postpone the highly anticipated legislative elections by a year, citing a worsening coronavirus outbreak.

The postponement is a setback for the pro-democracy opposition, which was hoping to capitalize on disenchantment with the current pro-Beijing majority to make gains. A group of 22 lawmakers issued a statement ahead of the announcement accusing the government of using the outbreak as an excuse to delay the vote.

Matthew Lee, The Associated Press

China

Get local stories you won't find anywhere else right to your inbox.
Sign up here

Just Posted

Alberta’s chief medical officer of health, Dr. Deena Hinshaw, announced more than 1,500 active cases in Alberta Monday afternoon and five additional deaths. (Photo by Chris Schwarz/Government of Alberta)
New COVID rules coming

Central zone active cases up by 100 in last 24 hours

The revised plans for the Dream Centre feature a two-storey renovated building. The centre launched a campaign Monday in hopes of raising more than a million to help with building renovation. (Contributed image).
Red Deer Dream Centre launches campaign, hopes to raise $1.4M

A proposed addiction treatment centre is hoping to raise $1.4 million to… Continue reading

COVID-19. (Image courtesy CDC)
Red Deer area seniors facility pauses visits after staff tests positive for COVID

A Red Deer County seniors facility has put the breaks on visitors… Continue reading

.
Alberta confirmed more than 1,500 COVID-19 cases Sunday

Alberta confirmed 1,584 COVID-19 cases Sunday afternoon. The total active cases went… Continue reading

Lynn Van Laar, chair of this year’s Christmas Wish Breakfast, said the event was planned outdoors to minimize the risk of COVID. Photo by Mamta Lulla/Advocate staff
Outdoor Christmas Wish Breakfast helps central Alberta families this holiday season

The coronavirus pandemic isn’t going to stop children from having a merry… Continue reading

3rd major COVID-19 vaccine shown to be effective and cheaper

3rd major COVID-19 vaccine shown to be effective and cheaper

Pedestrians stroll along Spring Garden Road in Halifax on Thursday, Nov. 19, 2020. THE CANADIAN PRESS/Andrew Vaughan
Atlantic bubble bursts while COVID-19 cases continue to rise further west

Atlantic bubble bursts while COVID-19 cases continue to rise further west

Writer Tanya Talaga poses for a portrait during promotional day for Audible Podcasts in Toronto, Friday, Sept. 4, 2020. THE CANADIAN PRESS/Chris Young
Tanya Talaga’s ‘Seven Truths’ podcast ‘goes to the heart of Anishinaabe storytelling’

Tanya Talaga’s ‘Seven Truths’ podcast ‘goes to the heart of Anishinaabe storytelling’

A sign at a Laval, Que., Walmart store is shown on Tuesday, May 3, 2016. The country's largest organization of small businesses is calling on the Ontario government to think twice about its lockdown policies that close most small businesses while leaving big box retailers open. THE CANADIAN PRESS/Ryan Remiorz
Small businesses seek changes to Ontario lockdown rules as big box stores remain open

Small businesses seek changes to Ontario lockdown rules as big box stores remain open

A Loblaws store is seen Monday, March 9, 2015 in Montreal.Loblaw Companies Ltd. is expanding the launch of its mobile health and wellness app, a digital tool the company says will provide free access to health-care resources and support. THE CANADIAN PRESS/Ryan Remiorz
Loblaw expands launch of PC Health app, offering access to nurses, dietitians

Loblaw expands launch of PC Health app, offering access to nurses, dietitians

A pedestrian wearing a mask checks his mobile device while waiting to cross a street in Calgary on Thursday, Nov. 19, 2020. Some Alberta businesses are taking matters into their own hands by implementing extra COVID-19 restrictions.THE CANADIAN PRESS/Jeff McIntosh
Some Alberta businesses taking extra COVID-19 restrictions as cases surge

Some Alberta businesses taking extra COVID-19 restrictions as cases surge

FILE - In this June 29, 2018, file photo, pipeline used to carry crude oil is shown at the Superior, Wis., terminal of Enbridge Energy. A significant permit has been granted to Enbridge's plan to replace its aging Line 3 oil pipeline across northern Minnesota. (AP Photo/Jim Mone, File)
Army Corps of Engineers grants final federal Line 3 permit

Army Corps of Engineers grants final federal Line 3 permit

Canadian dollars are pictured in Vancouver, Sept. 22, 2011. TTHE CANADIAN PRESS/Jonathan Hayward
North American stock markets rise as vaccine news boosts energy sector

North American stock markets rise as vaccine news boosts energy sector

Most Read