Red Deerians can now choose from 42 pharmacies offering COVID-19 immunization.
Alberta’s immunization program expanded to include pharmacies in late February.
Alberta Health said more than 800 pharmacies are now offering the COVID-19 vaccine province wide. More will be added in the coming weeks as the vaccine supply increases.
Shoppers Drug Mart in Clearview Market was one of the first nine local pharmacies to offer the vaccine. Pharmacist and store owner Aamir Hussain said so far more than 1,000 people have been immunized at his store.
“It’s going really well. People are really interested. Lots of phone calls are coming,” Hussain said.
He said it’s been a learning curve, but the public has been very understanding. Last week 90 doses of the Pfizer vaccine were given out per day, and this week it’s 60 per day, so supply does change, but it has been steady.
“People are really interested in getting the Pfizer vaccine.”
Earlier this week, Premier Jason Kenney said that the province plans on opening walk-in COVID-19 vaccine appointments to pharmacies in the coming weeks.
Hussain said the new restrictions that reduce customer capacity at stores will impact walk-in clients, but having more pharmacies included in the immunization program will help.
He encouraged people to check out the government’s COVID-19 immunization website to find out when they are eligible. They can also register now at the Shoppers Drug Mart website and will be notified with a text when they qualify.
“That’s really easy. You don’t have to call.”
To find out which vaccine (AstraZeneca, Moderna, or Pfizer) is available at local pharmacies, to book appointments, or for more information, visit: www.ab.bluecross.ca.
Participating pharmacies in Red Deer and Gasoline Alley include:
• Aspire Remedy’s RX Pharmacy
• Care Gateway Red Deer Pharmacy
• Central Alberta Co-op Timberlands Pharmacy
• Central Alberta Co-op Pharmacy, 140-4707 50 St.
• Central Alberta Co-op Pharmacy, 13-69 Dunlop Street.
• Costco Pharmacy
• Deer Park IDA Pharmacy
• Gaetz Avenue Pharmacy
• Highland Green Remedy’s RX Pharmacy
• Johnstone IDA Pharmacy
• Loblaw Pharmacy
• London Drugs Pharmacy
• Medicine Shoppe Pharmacy, 3805 Ross Street.
• Medicine Shoppe Pharmacy, 130-2950 22 St.
• Millerdale Pharmacy
• North Gaetz Pharmacy
• Northey Remedy’s RX Pharmacy
• Notre Dame Pharmasave
• Parsons Pharmacy
• Peter’s Pharmacy Compounding & Home Heath
• Pharmasave Skyway
• Pharmasave Timberlands
• Pine Plaza IDA Pharmacy
• Piper IDA Pharmacy
• Plaza 67 IDA Pharmacy, 120-6075 67A St.
• Plaza IDA Dispensary, 6A-5030 47 Ave.
• Rexall, 4826 Ross St.
• Rexall, 4705 48th Ave.
• Ross Street IDA Pharmacy
• Safeway Pharmacy
• Save-On-Foods Pharmacy, 6720 52 Ave.
• Save-On-Foods Pharmacy, 3020 22 St.
• Shoppers Drug Mart, 1 Chambers Avenue
• Shoppers Drug Mart, 2A-6315 Horn Street
• Shoppers Drug Mart, 1-6320 50 Ave.
• Shoppers Drug Mart, A6-4900 Molly Bannister Dr.
• Sobeys Pharmacy, 200-6380 50 Ave.
• Sobeys Pharmacy, 2110 50 Ave.
• Taylor Pharmasave
• Wal-Mart Pharmacy, Parkland Mall
• Wal-Mart Pharmacy, 2010 50 Ave.
• Westpark Drugs IDA