Bighorn park proposal strikes a sensible balance

I’d like to provide some clarification regarding several points raised in your article, “Group against Bighorn Park proposal to rally in Red Deer,” specifically on the statement “… the proposal will not allow off-highway vehicle use, will curtail land use by hikers, equestrians, bikers and native landowners, and will prohibit commercial activities such as forestry and oil.”

Existing petroleum and natural gas agreements would be honoured within all of the proposed parks, while new leases will be allowed, but with no surface access. Within the West Country Public Land Use Zone, both existing and future petroleum and natural gas agreements will not be impacted.

There is no existing commercial forestry tenure within the proposed parks, nor has there been any large-scale harvesting historically in that area. Commercial forestry does occur in the proposed West Country Public Land Use Zone, but a zone only regulates recreational access, it does not place restrictions on industry.

Only 24 per cent of the proposal area is comprised of parks, the other 76 per cent consists of the West Country Public Land Use Zone.

Existing off-highway vehicle, equestrian, mountain biking and hiking use will not be impacted by the proposed parks. Designated trails have been in place since 2002, and the proposal explicitly states that these trails will remain as they are.

The proposal would provide funding for trail maintenance and increased enforcement, including reclamation of existing illegal trails in the area.

All First Nations rights will continue to be honoured under the proposed changes. This includes traditional activities, fishing and trapping (no new restrictions), hunting (only new restriction is not being able to hunt within the new public recreation areas (0.4 per cent of the proposal area) due to high frequency of public use and their small size) and motorized access (usage in parks restricted to designated trails).

Chris Smith, Edmonton

Chris Smith is parks co-ordinator with the Canadian Parks and Wilderness Society.

Get local stories you won't find anywhere else right to your inbox.
Sign up here

Just Posted

Security for empty nursing home is pricier than it would have been to knock it down

Provincial taxpayers have now paid more to mothball a former nursing home… Continue reading

Birds move into new wildlife hospital

Medicine River Wildlife Centre to host grand opening this spring

Man accused in Lacombe fatal shooting in court

Tyler John Campbell charged with second-degree murder for December 2019 homicide

Stolen catalytic converters recovered

Innisfail RCMP arrest two suspects

Canadians released from coronavirus-ridden cruise ship in Japan fly home

OTTAWA — A sixth presumptive case of COVID-19 has been diagnosed in… Continue reading

Fashion Fridays: The 8 best quality online stores! Shop the ultimate sales

Kim XO, helps to keep you looking good on Fashion Fridays on the Black Press Media Network

Your community calendar

Feb. 19 A Liberation of Holland event is being held at the… Continue reading

Gary Harris’s generosity helped shape our college, and our city, writes Joel Ward

I was deeply saddened to learn of Gary Harris’s passing. I first… Continue reading

A teen’s perspective: Ordinary Canadians are paying a price for railway blockades

The following is a letter by Alberta teenager Liam Smith to his… Continue reading

Diamond Princess evacuees arrive for quarantine in Canada

OTTAWA — A plane carrying 129 Canadians and their families who have… Continue reading

U.S., Taliban truce takes effect, setting stage for peace deal

ISLAMABAD — A temporary truce between the United States and the Taliban… Continue reading

China, Iran challenges top foreign-policy priorities for Canada, says Champagne

OTTAWA — No one should construe the co-operation between Canada and China… Continue reading

Alice Munro among Nobel prizewinners urging Trudeau to deny oilsands project

Canadian author Alice Munro is among dozens of Nobel prizewinners urging Prime… Continue reading

2010 leader John Furlong urges Vancouver to bid for 2030 Winter Games

While Vancouver celebrates the 10th anniversary of the 2010 Winter Olympic and… Continue reading

Most Read