CHARLOTTETOWN, P.E.I. — The Alberta men’s baseball team, with Chad Northcott of Rocky Mountain House and Joel Peterman of Red Deer on the roster, downed Ontario 2-0 on Thursday to advance to the gold medal game.
Details of the semifinal were unavailable. The Alberta squad will face Quebec in the championship contest today.
• In women’s volleyball, Jaimie Thibeault of Sylvan Lake had 14 kills, six blocks and five digs as Alberta slipped past Saskatchewan 3-2 in a quarter-final.
Katie Graves of Lacombe contributed five digs for Alberta, while Quinn Schulzke of Red Deer had one dig. The provincial team took a 2-0 lead in the match with 25-20, 25-17 wins, then fell 28-30, 23-25 before rallying to take the fifth set 15-9.
Alberta will meet Ontario in a semifinal today.
• The Alberta men’s soccer team, with Red Deer’s Brad Hughes on the roster, defeated Prince Edward Island 4-1 and advanced to a semifinal match today against Nova Scotia.
• In athletics, Stephen McPhee of Bentley was fourth in group B of the men’s long jump with a distance of 6.96 metres. He will compete in today’s finals.
Heather Roberts of Red Deer is an Alberta athletics coach.
• Carson Kallis of Red Deer fired a final round 86 as Alberta finished sixth in the men’s golf team standings. Kallis had earlier scores of 84-78.
• In women’s Special Olympics swimming, Nicole Palardy of Olds was sixth in her 50m backstroke heat with a time of 53.97 seconds. She placed 12th overall.