Welterweight Michel Pereira, right, fights Tristan (Boondock) Connelly during UFC Fight Night at Rogers Arena in Vancouver on September, 14, 2019. THE CANADIAN PRESS/Jonathan Hayward

B.C. fighter Tristan Connelly returns to action at UFC 261 after extended layoff

Tristan (Boondock) Connelly won his UFC debut on five days notice. Slowed by the pandemic and neck surgery, the B.C. fighter has had to wait 19 months to fight again.

Connelly (14-6-0) returns to action Saturday at UFC 261 as the mixed martial arts promotion opens its doors to fans again at VyStar Veterans Memorial Arenain Jacksonville, Fla.

The 35-year-old from Victoria, who now makes his home in Langley, B.C., meets American featherweight Pat Sabatini (13-3-0) on the undercard.

It has been a long time coming.

“It’s been a crazy roller-coaster with everything. I’m excited to be back and doing what I love,” said Connelly.

He made a name for himself on a Vancouver Fight Night card on Sept. 14, 2019, moving up a weight class on short notice to beat Michel (Demolidor) Pereira, a breakdancing Brazilian showboat who arrived with a ton of hype.

Despite giving up three inches in height and five in reach to the six-foot-one Pereira, Connelly put on a gritty, winning performance. The Canadian underdog earned a 29-28, 29-27, 29-27 decision, finishing the fight with a 64-32 edge in significant strikes.

The bout earned fight of the night honours with Connelly collecting a US$50,000 bonus as well as Pereira’s $50,000 share since the Brazilian missing weight by one pound (at 172 pounds) and wasn’t eligible for the reward.

That beefed-up bonus helped Connelly on the down payment on a new townhouse.

The five-foot-10 Connelly, who normally walks around at 180 to 185 pounds, has competed mostly at lightweight (155 pounds). He has to make 146, the limit for non-featherweight title bouts, for Sabatini.

He weighed in at 169.5 pounds for the Pereira bout. Connelly estimates the Brazilian outweighed him by 30 pounds fight night once they had rehydrated.

Pereira went on to win two of his next three UFC bouts, with the loss coming via disqualification for using an illegal knee against veteran Diego Sanchez by in February 2020.

Connelly was due to fight on a Portland card in April 2020, only to see it cancelled by the pandemic. He came home from a training stint in Las Vegas, only to start feeling the painful after-effects of a car crash the previous year.

Connelly says an MRI revealed the neck damage causing what he calls “the worst pain I’ve ever been in my life.” The pain ran down his arms and he started experiencing severe weakness.

“I couldn’t hold my head up,” he said. “My fingers were completely numb, I couldn’t feel anything in them. It felt like my arm was being held in an open fire while being electrocuted at the same time. I couldn’t sleep.”

The only thing that relieved the pain was some form of neck traction.

He underwent an operation last summer with his Victoria neurosurgeon, Dr. John Sun, telling him later that a disc had attached to the nerve, causing the pain. The problem disc was replaced with an artificial one, allowing the spine to move properly.

“I woke up and the pain was essentially gone,” said Connelly. “There was a bunch of rehab to be done but a night-and-day difference from going under to waking up.”

The UFC 261 main card features three title defences.

Welterweight champion Kamaru (The Nigerian Nightmare) Usman meets Jorge (Gamebred) Masvidal, ranked fourth among 170-pound contenders, in the main event. China’s Zhang Weili puts her strawweight title on the line against former champion Rose (Thug) Namajunas, the No. 1 contender. And flyweight champion Valentina (Bullet) Shevchenko faces No. 1 Jessica Andrade, a former strawweight title-holder.

Connelly has fought twice before at 145 pounds, with both bouts coming earlier in his career. He sees the lighter weight class as giving him the best chance to showcase his skills in the UFC, although he says time will tell if he stays at featherweight.

“The UFC, there’s no easy fights. Everyone’s a killer,” he said. “So those extra pounds make a difference when everyone’s at a super-high level.”

The extended layoff helped him cut weight. He did a lot of dieting, coming into camp 10 pounder lighter.

“The test will be after the fight,” Connelly said of the drop in weight.

The 30-year-old Sabatini is making his UFC debut and has won his last two bouts — and five of the last six. A former collegiate wrestler at Rider University, he holds a black belt in Brazilian jiu-jitsu under Daniel Gracie

Connelly, who is also a black belt in BJJ, came late to MMA. He got involved through jiu-jitsu.

“Immediately I loved it. One class and I was hooked.”

That prompted him to try kickboxing and MMA. He made his pro debut at 24 and lost four of his first seven fights but has won 11 of his 13 since — including his last five.

He says he has learned his trade on the job, not having any amateur bouts. He says he improved his MMA IQ and showed he has no quit in him.

“Win, lose of draw, you’re going to have to fight me for the full 15 minutes. Unless I’m unconscious,” he said.

Connelly runs a gym, which he had to close during the pandemic. He is going forward with a new gym, called Pinnacle Combat Academy, in suburban Richmond once restrictions are lifted.

He has been training in Las Vegas since January to get ready for his next fight. While that has taken him away from wife Jen and daughter Sidney, Connelly says video chats can still make his heart lift.

“The happiest feeling you’ve ever had in your entire life, just seeing her smile,” he said of his nine-month-old daughter. “I can’t wait to be able hold her again and make her laugh, smile and giggle.”

His nickname Boondock came after he chose the opening theme of “The Boondock Saints,” a favourite film of his, as the walkout song for his first fight. The next time out the promoter had him announced with Boondock as a nickname — and it soon caught on with MMA websites.

“I didn’t pick it. it chose me. And I always think that’s the best (kind of) nickname,” said Connelly.

He still uses the music to enter the arena.

Get local stories you won't find anywhere else right to your inbox.
Sign up here

Just Posted

If you're heading out to the West Country have a plan in case things go wrong, says Clearwater Regional Fire Rescue Services fire chief Steve Debienne.
(Photo from CRFRS Facebook)
West Country visitors should have an emergency plan: regional fire chief

Cellphones can’t be relied on in many back country areas

Rode
Sarcevic leads an impressive list of additions to RDC Kings soccer

In 2019 the RDC Kings soccer program took a major step forward… Continue reading

The Red Deer PCN Women's Fun Run will take on a different look this weekend with rising COVID-19 numbers.
Women’s Fun Run goes ahead this weekend in Red Deer

With new public health measures in place because of rising COVID-19 case… Continue reading

Alberta’s chief medical officer of health Dr. Deena Hinshaw asked Albertans to limit travel throughout the province as COVID-19 cases continue to rise. (Photo by Chris Schwarz/Government of Alberta)
Red Deer nears 900 active COVID-19 cases

Province reports additional 2,211 COVID-19 cases

David Eggen, the NDP’s advanced education critic, said the UCP government has been focused on cutting funding to post-secondary institutions across Alberta. (Contributed photo)
NDP worry new status for Red Deer College doesn’t mean more funding

This week the province announced that RDC will become a polytechnic institute

Alberta Health Services locked the Whistle Stop Cafe in Mirror on Wednesday morning after owner Christopher Scott refused to comply with health orders. (Photo by Paul Cowley/Advocate staff)
UPDATED: AHS shuts down Whistle Stop Cafe for defying health orders

Justice minister promises to get tough with those ignoring public health orders

Wizards beat Raptors in OT, Toronto playoff bid nearly over

Wizards beat Raptors in OT, Toronto playoff bid nearly over

Toronto Blue Jays' Teoscar Hernandez (37) hits a single to drive in two runs against the Oakland Athletics during the sixth inning of a baseball game in Oakland, Calif., on Thursday, May 6, 2021. (AP Photo/Tony Avelar)
Grichuk drives in 5, Jays beat A’s 10-4 for series split

Grichuk drives in 5, Jays beat A’s 10-4 for series split

Canada's Sports Hall of Fame 2019 inductee Jayna Hefford speaks in Toronto on Wednesday, October 23, 2019. THE CANADIAN PRESS/Frank Gunn
Three Canadian teams to play in women’s hockey Dream Gap Tour in Calgary

Three Canadian teams to play in women’s hockey Dream Gap Tour in Calgary

Rugby Canada says some members of women’s sevens team have tested positive for COVID

Rugby Canada says some members of women’s sevens team have tested positive for COVID

Team Canada skip Kerri Einarson, centre, makes a shot as lead Briane Meilleur, left, and second Shannon Birchard sweep against Denmark at the Women's World Curling Championship in Calgary, Alta., Thursday, May 6, 2021.THE CANADIAN PRESS/Jeff McIntosh
Einarson’s five-game win streak ends with loss to Japan at world curling playdowns

Einarson’s five-game win streak ends with loss to Japan at world curling playdowns

FILE - In this Feb. 24, 2020, photo, the Olympics rings are reflected on the window of a hotel restaurant as a server with a mask sets up a table, in the Odaiba section of Tokyo. The vaccine rollout in Japan has been very slow with less than 1% vaccinated. This of course is spilling over to concerns about the postponed Tokyo Olympics that open in just over three months.(AP Photo/Jae C. Hong, File)
Canadian athletes, coaches applaud news of vaccine doses ahead of Tokyo

Canadian athletes, coaches applaud news of vaccine doses ahead of Tokyo

Minister of Employment, Workforce Development and Disability Inclusion Carla Qualtrough holds a press conference on Parliament Hill in Ottawa on Thursday, Sept. 24, 2020. THE CANADIAN PRESS/Sean Kilpatrick
Liberals pressed to ease access to EI parental leave to help unemployed moms

Liberals pressed to ease access to EI parental leave to help unemployed moms

Katie Telford, Chief of Staff to the Prime Minister, appears as a witness via videoconference during a House of Commons finance committee in Ottawa, Thursday, July 30, 2020. The Canadian Press has learned that Katie Telford has written members of the defence committee inquiry into allegations of sexual misconduct against Canada's former top military commander, offering to testify at their meeting Friday. THE CANADIAN PRESS/Sean Kilpatrick
PM’s chief of staff offers to testify on Vance sexual misconduct allegations

PM’s chief of staff offers to testify on Vance sexual misconduct allegations

Most Read