Balsillie cleared to bid

One week after the NHL rejected him as a potential franchise owner, Jim Balsillie’s dream to bring the Phoenix Coyotes to southern Ontario has been given new life.

Jim Balsillie

PHOENIX — One week after the NHL rejected him as a potential franchise owner, Jim Balsillie’s dream to bring the Phoenix Coyotes to southern Ontario has been given new life.

U.S. Bankruptcy Court Judge Redfield T. Baum ruled Wednesday that all bids for the financially ailing Coyotes, those to keep the team in Arizona or to move it elsewhere, would be accepted for the Sept. 10 auction.

He specifically said the US$212.5-million offer from Balsillie, the Canadian billionaire who twice before tried to move an American team to Canada, would be considered. That sets up another showdown between Balsillie and the NHL, because the league’s board of governors unanimously rejected him as an owner in a July 29 vote.

Balsillie’s bid is contingent on moving the team to Hamilton.

Balsillie spokesman Bill Walker praised the judge’s for creating a “fair and transparent” sales process.

“It’s the best outcome for creditors and for the future of the franchise,” Walker said. “We think Jim Balsillie’s bid will emerge the winner because it offers the best financial terms and the best market in Hamilton, where hockey fans are thirsting for this team.”

But Balsillie’s bid still faces several major hurdles.

The NHL has made it clear it doesn’t want Balsillie as an owner, and the league hasn’t ruled on whether it would allow the team to move or what fees would be included to enter territory now claimed by the Toronto Maple Leafs and Buffalo Sabres.

Additionally, Baum has not ruled whether Balsillie can escape the lease the Coyotes have with the city of Glendale to play at Jobing.com Arena.

Baum scheduled a hearing next Tuesday to consider issues that have been raised by his ruling.

An auction had been set for Aug. 5 for potential buyers who would keep the team in Arizona.

But the NHL, Glendale and the two apparent local bidders asked for a postponement to Sept. 10. That raised the possibility of adding bids from buyers who would relocate the team.

Balsillie’s bid is by far the biggest.

A group headed by Jerry Reinsdorf — owner of baseball’s Chicago White Sox and the NBA’s Chicago Bulls — has offered $148 million to buy the team and keep it in Glendale but is still working out details with the city and other creditors.

A third group known as Ice Edge, headed by Canadian and American investors, told the court it intends to submit a bid of about $150 million but was still gathering financing.

Earlier Wednesday, Baum delayed a hearing on whether to find the owner of the Coyotes and his lawyers in contempt of court for publicly filing documents that were supposed to be kept confidential.

Team owner Jerry Moyes opposes the Reinsdorf deal, which would give him little or no money. He supports Balsillie’s proposal, which would give him about $100 million.

Attorneys for Moyes posted confidential documents to the public docket last week. The documents were later removed, but Glendale sought the contempt order on Monday, saying the city was “absolutely outraged” by the release of the information.

The Arizona Republic saw the appendix before it was removed.

It showed that Reinsdorf has asked for a special taxing district to be created near the arena that would pay the new owners as much as $23 million next year.

And if the team was still losing money after five years, Glendale would have to pay Reinsdorf $15 million for each year of losses or allow the team to be sold and moved without penalty, according to the newspaper.

Just Posted

Red Deer ‘champion’ helps hospital by sharing ongoing petition

It’s been about three years since many physicians at Red Deer Regional… Continue reading

Red Deer Airport’s prospects are looking up for 2019

Ultra-low-cost passenger service is on the horizon

Funding down for Red Deer Christmas charities

Food hampers and toys for children going out to those in need

UPDATED: Delburne man found not guilty in connection with 2016 fatal rollover

Daniel Wayne Newsham had been on trial for manslaughter

Loan officer accused of $1 million fraud to plead guilty

Accused allegedly forged customer names to get loans while working at Sylvan Lake bank

UPDATED: Delburne man found not guilty in connection with 2016 fatal rollover

Daniel Wayne Newsham had been on trial for manslaughter

Penny Marshall dead at 75, best known as TV’s Laverne and director of ‘Big,’ ‘A League of Their Own’

Bronx-born Penny Marshall, who found ’70s sitcom success on “Laverne and Shirley”… Continue reading

Chabot scores overtime winner to lift Senators over Predators 4-3

OTTAWA — Thomas Chabot saw an opening and he took it. And… Continue reading

Canadian Marielle Thompson earns World Cup ski cross bronze in season opener

AROSA, Switzerland — Canada’s Marielle Thompson captured bronze at the opening World… Continue reading

Canada doesn’t make Oscars short list for best foreign language film

LOS ANGELES — Canada is no longer in the running for best… Continue reading

Warrant issued for arrest of ‘Schwimmer lookalike’ suspect

LONDON — A British judge has issued an arrest warrant for an… Continue reading

Moneywise: Canadian workers unhappy with pay, want pension plans

Many working Canadians are feeling underpaid and are so worried about their… Continue reading

Brazil police say faith healer has turned himself in

RIO DE JANEIRO — A celebrity faith healer accused of sexually abusing… Continue reading

B.C. hockey coach creates ‘gear library’ to remove cost barrier of sport

VANCOUVER — Nicola Froese says she has always loved playing sports, but… Continue reading

Most Read