Cyclists ride the track at the Circuit Gilles Villeneuve Wednesday, April 28, 2021 in Montreal. The 2021 edition of the Canadian Grand Prix has been cancelled for a second consecutive year due to public health concerns during the COVID-19 pandemic. THE CANADIAN PRESS/Paul Chiasson

Canadian GP cancelled due to COVID-19, contract to hold race in Montreal extended

Canadian GP cancelled due to COVID-19, contract to hold race in Montreal extended

MONTREAL — The Canadian Grand Prix was cancelled for the second year in a row due to COVID-19 health measures on Wednesday, but officials announced that a contract to hold the race in Montreal has been extended by two years.

The Formula One race was scheduled to take place June 13 at Circuit Gilles Villeneuve.

The event was also cancelled last year because of the novel coronavirus.

“It was done jointly, we obviously were attentive to public health in Montreal, who expressed some concerns, same thing with public health in Quebec and Canada,” Economy Minister Pierre Fitzgibbon told a virtual news conference on Wednesday. “So we decided as a government it was the best decision to be taken, to cancel the Formula One race.”

On Wednesday, F1 officials announced the Montreal race would be replaced by one in Istanbul, Turkey. They cited the ongoing travel restrictions in Canada which require a mandatory 14-day quarantine that would be impossible to meet.

However, the governments of Canada and Quebec announced that the race will return to Montreal in 2022, and that an agreement has been reached with Formula One World Championship to keep the race in Montreal until 2031, two years longer than the current agreement.

Those two additional years, 2030 and 2031, will cost partners $25 and $26 million respectively.

While that’s more than the $19 million that was to be paid for the 2021 edition, Fitzgibbon said the agreement will benefit Quebec’s coffers, with the current economic spinoffs from the race around $100 million in addition to fiscal benefits for the province to the tune of $10 million.

Additionally, Ottawa and Quebec have also agreed to invest $5.5 million promoting Formula One in an effort to bring back tourists when sanitary conditions permit.

Economic Development Minister Melanie Joly said the ongoing vaccination campaign will help get the country to that point.

“We’ll be one of the first ones in the world to be able to have international tourists here in our country and we’ll be able to sell the fact we are a healthy and secure place to visit,” Joly said.

The formal postponement came after public health officials in Montreal expressed concerns over holding the race due to the novel coronavirus.

Dr. Mylene Drouin, Montreal’s public health director, said Wednesday her department hadn’t made a formal recommendation to cancel the race, but doing so means one less event to manage for public health officials in the coming weeks.

The race’s promoter, Francois Dumontier, was ambivalent about the cancellation.

“I understand the news, and I accept it, but you understand that I still have mixed feelings,” Dumontier said. “I am disappointed with the cancellation for my team, for the many volunteers and all the stakeholders who make it so successful.”

That said, Dumontier was happy with the two additional years added to the existing pact and was confident a 2022 edition of the race would be held.

“I think that we’ve got enough time in front of us to put up the event,” Dumontier said. “By September or October, most Canadians will be vaccinated so if we can start working at that moment, we’ll be in good shape and no problem to prepare for next June.”

The Canadian Grand Prix made its debut in 1967 and, save for a couple of absences, has been a fixture in the Canadian sports calendar since.

The last time it wasn’t held prior to the pandemic-related cancellations was 2009, when the event promoter and F1 couldn’t come to an agreement over the rights to show the race.

This report by The Canadian Press was first published April 28, 2021.

Sidhartha Banerjee, The Canadian Press

Note to readers: This is a corrected story. A previous version incorrectly stated the Canadian GP has been a Montreal fixture since 1967, but it has also been held in Bowmanville, Ont., and Mont-Tremblant, Que.

auto racing

Just Posted

Ella Stoner, five, is ready to cut off her hair and donate it to A Child’s Voice Foundation. (Photo by Lauren Stoner Photography)
Central Alberta girl to donate her ‘princess hair’ to A Child’s Voice Foundation

A five-year-old girl from Rimbey has never had a haircut before. Now,… Continue reading

Asymptomatic testing will now be available for "priority groups" who are most likely to spread the COVID-19 virus to vulnerable or at-risk populations. File photo by THE CANADIAN PRESS
Alberta adds 1,195 new COVID-19 cases Saturday

Red Deer has dropped to 760 active cases

Lacombe-Ponoka MLA Ron Orr
Central Alberta MLAs comment on UCP members kicked out of caucus

A pair of central Alberta MLAs have commented on the two United… Continue reading

Contributed photo
Johanna Hannaford: Central Alberta designer offers inclusive clothing

By Stephanie Rhodes Local designer Johanna Hannaford’s inclusive clothing creations are smashing… Continue reading

Red life-ring with splash
Started from the bottom: How a family business started and grew in central Alberta

By Carina Moran We started our business in the basement of our… Continue reading

Vancouver Canucks' Zack MacEwen (71), Travis Boyd (72) and Jimmy Vesey (24) celebrate a goal against the Edmonton Oilers during third period NHL action in Edmonton on Saturday, May 15, 2021.THE CANADIAN PRESS/Jason Franson
Big third period lifts Vancouver Canucks to 4-1 victory over Edmonton Oilers

Canucks 4 Oilers 1 EDMONTON — Matthew Highmore scored twice in the… Continue reading

A vial of the Medicago vaccine sits on a surface. CARe Clinic, located in Red Deer, has been selected to participate in the third phase of vaccine study. (Photo courtesy www.medicago.com)
Canada’s vaccine rollout operation won’t miss a beat with new military leader: expert

DARTMOUTH — The sudden departure of the senior military officer in charge… Continue reading

Quebec Premier Francois Legault speaks during a news conference on the COVID-19 pandemic, Tuesday, September 29, 2020 at the legislature in Quebec City. THE CANADIAN PRESS/Jacques Boissinot
Quebec premier argues province has power to amend constitution in letter to Trudeau

MONTREAL — Quebec Premier François Legault has written a letter to Prime… Continue reading

A demonstrator stands in front of riot police officers during a banned protest in support of Palestinians in the Gaza Strip, in Paris, Saturday, May, 15, 2021. Marches in support of Palestinians in the Gaza Strip were being held Saturday in a dozen French cities, but the focus was on Paris where riot police countered organizers who said they would defy a ban on the protest, ordered on the grounds that it risked turning violent. (AP Photo/Rafael Yaghobzadeh)
Police fire tear gas on banned Palestinian march in Paris

PARIS (AP) — French riot police fired tear gas and used water… Continue reading

Photo by The Associated Press
NYC Pride parade bans police; Gay officers ‘disheartened’

NEW YORK (AP) — Organizers of New York City’s Pride events said… Continue reading

Welcoming cowboy boots at the historic and colourful Last Chance Saloon in the ghost town of Wayne near Drumheller, Alta., on Thursday, Sept. 19, 2019. The bar and hotel are up for sale. THE CANADIAN PRESS/Jeff McIntosh
‘It was a going concern’: Remaining bar and hotel in Alberta coal ghost town for sale

WAYNE, Alta. — Built during the First World War, it survived the… Continue reading

A letter from a bottle that washed up in New Brunswick in 2017 is shown in an undated handout photo. A team of researchers from Université du Québec à Rimouski are trying to solve the mystery of whether a letter in a bottle that washed up in New Brunswick in 2017 was indeed from a young victim of Titanic shipwreck or simply a hoax. THE CANADIAN PRESS/HO, N. Beaudry, UQAR *MANDATORY CREDIT*
Real or hoax? Quebec scholars probe mystery letter allegedly from Titanic passenger

MONTREAL — Researchers from Université du Québec à Rimouski are trying to… Continue reading

Minister of Transport Marc Garneau takes part in a press conference on Parliament Hill in Ottawa on Tuesday, Nov. 26, 2019. Advocates, experts and opposition MPs say correspondence showing close communication between the federal Transport Department and the Canadian Transportation Agency regarding passenger refunds throws into question the independence of the CTA, an arm’s-length body. THE CANADIAN PRESS/Sean Kilpatrick
Emails reveal close communication between government, transport regulator on refunds

OTTAWA — Advocates, experts and opposition MPs say correspondence showing close communication… Continue reading

Most Read