Canucks come to terms on 12-year contract extension with Roberto Luongo

The Vancouver Canucks have agreed to a 12-year contract extension with star goaltender Roberto Luongo.

The Vancouver Canucks have agreed to a 12-year contract extension with star goaltender Roberto Luongo. The deal will keep the 30-year-old Canucks captain in Vancouver until the 2021-22 season.

VANCOUVER — The Vancouver Canucks are confident that goaltender Roberto Luongo will be in their net into his 40s, which is why they signed him to a US$64-million, 12-year contract extension Wednesday.

“We saw two 40-year-old goalies playing in the league this past year,” Canucks GM Mike Gillis said. “Dominik Hasek was a dominant goalie into his late 30s and early 40s. Johnny Bauer a long time ago, there’s lots of precedent at this position.

“We didn’t have any of the discomfort that we would have had with a skating defencemen or forward.”

Luongo, 30, says he’s in great shape and believes he’ll still be playing in the NHL at the end of the deal.

“Chelly’s doing it, I don’t see why I can’t,” joked Luongo, referring to 47-year-old defenceman Chris Chelios, who played for the Detroit Red Wings last season. “As long as my body keeps telling me I can play, I’ll be in the pipes.”

Looking relaxed, wearing a T-shirt, jeans and flip-flops, Luongo met with reporters Wednesday afternoon in the parking lot of Montreal’s Roberto-Luongo Arena, the rink where he first laced up his goalie pads as a kid.

Gillis confirmed Luongo’s deal, which was finalized Wednesday morning, will count $5.3 million per year against the NHL’s salary cap. The extension will keep the Canucks captain in Vancouver until the 2021-22 season.

Luongo could retire earlier than the full length of the contract with no cap consequences for the Canucks.

“He’s the face of the organization, he’s our captain and we think he’s the most dominant player in his position in the league right now,” Gillis said.

Luongo earned $7 million last season and was due to earn $7.5 for the upcoming campaign, which was the final year of his existing contract.

He went 33-13-7 last season with a franchise-record nine shutouts and is expected to challenge Martin Brodeur for Canada’s starting job at the Olympics.

The Canucks were ousted in the second round of last season’s playoffs by the Chicago Blackhawks, but Luongo said he remained committed to Vancouver.

“Obviously it was a disappointing ending but once you’re removed from that, a few weeks later you kind of analyze where you’re at, where the team’s at and where you want to go,” he said during a morning conference call before talking to reporters in Montreal. “I thought we had a chance last year to win with the team that we had, and at the end of the day, that’s really all you can ask for.

“We’re all in it to win the Stanley Cup and I’m really looking forward to the opportunity over the next few years to try to bring one to Vancouver.”

In 544 career games the Montreal native is 230-232-64 with a 2.57 goals-against average. Luongo, whose play frequently draws cheers of Lo-o-o-o-o at GM Place, is a workhorse who wants to start every game.

But his 54 appearances in 2008-09 was the lowest since he entered the NHL in 2000-01 with the New York Islanders, who drafted him fourth overall in 1997.

That was because a groin injury suffered in a 3-1 victory Nov. 22 in Pittsburgh sidelined him 24 games. The Canucks were 9-12-3 during his absence.

Luongo was in all-star form prior to the injury, setting a club record of 232 minutes 36 seconds of shutout hockey.

Gillis re-signed twin forwards Henrik and Daniel Sedin to five-year contract extensions this summer. He also signed 40-year-old free agent defenceman Mathieu Schneider last week.

Luongo said the return of the Sedins was a big factor in his decision to commit for the long term.

“I think those guys are a big part of our team and they’re great guys, not only on the ice but off the ice,” he said. “It was nice to see them come back with the organization.

Luongo’s also pleased with the club’s other new additions.

“We’ve added more pieces this summer, so I really like our group, and like I said before, once you’re in the playoffs it’s a clean sheet for everybody and whoever’s playing the best at that time can take it,” he said.

– With files from Canadian Press reporters Andy Blatchford and Ron Sudlow.

Just Posted

Scares and chills await at haunted house in Red Deer

Zed Haunted House helps raise money for Boys and Girls Club of Red Deer District

PHOTO: Renewable Energy Fair at Red Deer College

The Renewable Energy Fair and Workshops event was held at Red Deer… Continue reading

PHOTOS: Red Deer College Queens host third annual Pink in the Rink game

Queens raised $12,035 for the Central Alberta Cancer Centre.

PHOTOS: The Mustard Seed CEO speaks at Seeds of Hope Gala in Red Deer

The first-ever Seeds of Hope Gala was held at the Red Deer… Continue reading

Person airlifted to hospital after collision near Innisfail

One person was airlifted to hospital after a serious collision west of… Continue reading

WATCH: Make-A-Wish grants Star Wars loving teen’s wish

The Make-A-Wish Foundation granted Anakin Suerink’s wish in Red Deer Saturday afternoon

Turkey to reveal details of probe into Khashoggi’s killing

ISTANBUL — In a sign of growing pressure on Saudi Arabia, Turkey… Continue reading

Utah truck driver is jailed without bond after crash kills 6

HEBER, Utah — A man suspected of driving under the influence remained… Continue reading

A ragged, growing army of migrants resumes march toward US

TAPACHULA, Mexico — A ragged army of Honduran migrants streamed through southern… Continue reading

Postal workers to begin strikes in 4 Canadian cities Monday if deal not reached

OTTAWA — The union representing 50,000 Canada Post employees says it will… Continue reading

Migrant caravan swells to 5,000, resumes advance toward US

CIUDAD HIDALGO, Mexico — Despite Mexican efforts to stop them at the… Continue reading

“I don’t feel real”: Mental stress mounting after Michael

PANAMA CITY, Fla. — Amy Cross has a hard time explaining the… Continue reading

Toronto residents set to vote Monday on the next four years of civic leaders

Toronto’s municipal election campaign, marked by unprecedented provincial interference, ends Monday when… Continue reading

Former PQ minister Lise Payette remembered as role model for female politicians

MONTREAL — Members from across Quebec’s political spectrum gathered at a downtown… Continue reading

Most Read