Team Ontario skip, Rachel Homan is seen during curling final action against Team Manitoba at the Scotties Tournament of Hearts in Moose Jaw, Sask., on February 23, 2020. THE CANADIAN PRESS/Jonathan Hayward

Curling season already on thin ice faces uncertain future due to pandemic

Curling slowly resuming play around the world

A curling season struggling to gain traction due to the pandemic was dealt a blow Monday as a high-profile team pulled out of a prominent upcoming bonspiel citing an “increase in COVID-19 cases.”

Team Rachel Homan tweeted that it made the “difficult decision to withdraw” from the Oct. 9-12 Stu Sells Toronto Tankard. Ontario has seen a significant uptick in cases of late with an additional 615 cases reported Monday.

Homan’s withdrawal came a day after the Stu Sells Oakville Tankard, a bonspiel that attracted a number of top domestic teams, pulled the plug on half of its playoff draw when a player received a notification on their COVID Alert app.

Organizers planned to meet later Monday to discuss the status of this week’s event, which is to be played at the same KW Granite Club venue in Waterloo, Ont.

“We’re doing everything we need to do,” said organizer Gerry Geurts. “We feel confident in our protocols in general. We’ve gone above and beyond.”

Curling is slowly resuming play around the world with many new rules, protocols and restrictions in place depending on the country and the province.

Several top teams – including 2014 Olympic champs Jennifer Jones and Brad Jacobs – made their season debut last week. Curlers were on board with the new rules, modifications and protocols, and all involved seemed pleased with the setup.

All athletes had to download the COVID Alert app to participate. The app notifies a person when they have been in contact with someone who has tested positive for COVID-19.

Distancing and venue capacity rules were in effect under return-to-play guidelines.

Benches and chairs by the sheets were blocked with yellow caution tape. Players arrived in their uniforms and warmed up in the parking lot.

Locker-room access was limited, teams took to the ice in stages and curlers wore masks on the ice. Equipment cleaning was done between each draw.

To help with distancing, two players followed the rock down the ice but only one could sweep.

The skip in control of the house was stationed in the rings area but was not supposed to put the broom down. The other skip waited by the boards.

Frisbee-sized logos on the ice served as designated waiting areas for players when the opposing team threw stones.

“As the first event, we wanted to make sure that we got through this thing successfully,” Geurts said. “At the end of the day, I would still consider what happened last weekend a very successful test drive of how to run a curling tournament in current times.”

When organizers were advised of the COVID App notification on Sunday morning, they discussed the development with the remaining teams. Out of an abundance of caution, they decided to cancel the remaining men’s playoff games that day.

The women’s draws were held at different times than the men, so that playoff continued. Jones went on to defeat Hollie Duncan in the final.

“We learned that the work we did was valuable,” Geurts said. “The reality is that I don’t feel we need to make any changes going forward. Exactly what happened is what was supposed to happen. The systems that we put in place to protect ourselves caught a potential exposure.”

Smaller regional bonspiels are proving to be the go-to option for elite curling teams this season. Many significant events have been postponed or cancelled, including several Grand Slam stops.

The national and world championships set for late winter and early spring remain on the calendar.

“The biggest challenge for our national team program and our more elite teams is just the fact that quite a number of them live within different provinces with different jurisdictions,” said Curling Canada high-performance director Gerry Peckham. “So the whole challenge of centralizing for the purposes of training and/or competition is a very diverse landscape to navigate and it seems to be changing all the time.”

Travel and quarantine rules are an obstacle for many teams. Some rinks may also be jittery about competing in provinces that have been more hard-hit on the COVID-19 front than others.

Unlike previous seasons, the Stu Sells Oakville Tankard field this year was limited to a domestic field of mostly Ontario curlers.

Geurts said a similar setup would be used for this week’s competition. His goal is to set a good example for others to follow.

“We need to make sure that we show the club curlers that are going to be entering their facilities (over the coming weeks), that this is how it should be done,” he said.

“This is how we can do it and this is how we can play the sport safely.”

This report by The Canadian Press was first published Oct. 5, 2020.

curling

Get local stories you won't find anywhere else right to your inbox.
Sign up here

Just Posted

The Hub on Ross has announced it has permanently closed. (Photo courtesy The Hub on Ross Facebook page)
The Hub on Ross in Red Deer to permanently close

The Hub on Ross in Red Deer permanently closed on Wednesday. “The… Continue reading

There were 410 COVID-19 cases recorded in Alberta Wednesday. (File photo)
Alberta records 410 new COVID-19 cases Wednesday

Central zone dropped to 160 active cases

Shaun Isaac, owner of Woodchucker Firewood in Trochu, is awaiting a new shipment during a firewood shortage in the province. All of the wood he has left is being saved for long-time customers who need it to heat their homes. (Contributed photo).
Firewood shortage in central Alberta caused by rising demand, gaps in supply

‘I’ve said “No” to more people than ever’: firewood seller

The Red Deer Senior Citizens Downtown House reopened earlier this month, after closing in March due to the pandemic. (Photo by Sean McIntosh/Advocate staff)
Red Deer Senior Citizens Downtown House reopens

The Red Deer Senior Citizens Downtown House was closed for months due… Continue reading

Guy Pelletier, vice-president of the Red Deer region for Melcor Developments. (Contributed photo).
Melcor has to redesign new neighbourhood after Molly Banister decision

City council disagreed with administration’s recommendation to scrap road plans

Alice Kolisnyk, deputy director of the Red Deer Food Bank, says the agency expects an increase in demand as the COVID-19 pandemic continues. Every new subscription to the Red Deer Advocate includes a $50 donation to the food bank. (Photo by BYRON HACKETT/Advocate Staff)
Support the food bank with a subscription to the Red Deer Advocate

The community’s most vulnerable members are always in need of a hand,… Continue reading

Sergio Santos, right, of the Philadelphia Union, loses the race to the ball against goalie Quentin Westberg of Toronto FC during the first half of an MLS match Saturday, Oct. 24, 2020, in Chester, Pa. THE CANADIAN PRESS/AP-Charles Fox/The Philadelphia Inquirer via AP
Frustrated coach Greg Vanney defends banged-up Toronto FC after second straight loss

Frustrated coach Greg Vanney defends banged-up Toronto FC after second straight loss

Los Angeles Dodgers manager Dave Robert and third baseman Justin Turner pose for a group picture after defeating the Tampa Bay Rays 3-1 to win the baseball World Series in Game 6 Tuesday, Oct. 27, 2020, in Arlington, Texas. Sporting venues and games certainly have super-spreader potential but that risk can be minimized with buy-in from all involved, experts said Wednesday. The subject moved into the spotlight Wednesday after L.A. Dodgers third baseman Justin Turner tested positive for COVID-19 at the World Series. THE CANADIAN PRESS/AP, Eric Gay
Sports’ buy-in needed to prevent super-spreader potential: experts

Sports’ buy-in needed to prevent super-spreader potential: experts

In this image released by Fox, from left, Doug E. Doug, Malik Yoba, Rawle D. Lewis, John Candy and Leon are shown in a scene from the film "Cool Runnings." THE CANADIAN PRESS/AP-HO, Fox
Not cool: Jamaican bobsledder wants thief to return stolen shell to Calgary bar

An original member of the Jamaican bobsled team featured in the 1993… Continue reading

Speedskater Ivanie Blondin trains at the Olympic Oval in Calgary on October 17, 2016. Canada's long-track speedskating team is chasing ice to Fort St. John, B.C. The country's top speedskaters have been without ice in Calgary's Olympic Oval since early September because of a mechanical failure there. World champions Ivanie Blondin, Graeme Fish and Ted-Jan Bloemen are among 50 people including coaches and support staff travelling to northern B.C. for a 15-day training camp starting Nov. 1. THE CANADIAN PRESS/Jeff McIntosh
Canadian long-track speedskating team finds temporary home in B.C.

Canadian long-track speedskating team finds temporary home in B.C.

The "Great One," Wayne Gretzky, left, holds up a banner bearing his number with some help from his friend Joey Moss during a jersey retirement ceremony at Skyreach Centre in Edmonton on Firday, October 1, 1999. Former Oilers captain Kelly Buchberger remembers how a familiar friend would come "barrelling" into the visitors' dressing room when he returned to Edmonton. THE CANADIAN PRESS/Jeff McIntosh
Wayne Gretzky reflects on the life, legacy of Joey Moss: ‘He gave parents hope’

Wayne Gretzky reflects on the life, legacy of Joey Moss: ‘He gave parents hope’

Players' sticks are shown during a World Championships Group A hockey game between Russia and Denmark, in Moscow, Russia, on Thursday, May 12, 2016. A $30-million settlement of three class actions over the failure to pay junior hockey players the minimum wage has been thrown into jeopardy after three judges refused to sign off on the agreement. THE CANADIAN PRESS/AP, Ivan Sekretarev
Junior hockey employment lawsuit on thin ice; judges refuse to OK $30-million deal

Junior hockey employment lawsuit on thin ice; judges refuse to OK $30-million deal

Alberta Premier Jason Kenney answers questions at a news conference in Calgary on Tuesday, Sept. 15, 2020. Labour union leaders are urging Albertans to sign up to protest Premier Jason Kenney’s government through rallies and demonstrations and, if necessary, provincewide general strikes. THE CANADIAN PRESS/Todd Korol
Alberta union leaders launch protest website against Kenney government

Alberta union leaders launch protest website against Kenney government

Most Read