Man United signs Cavani, Arsenal adds Partey on deadline day

Man United signs Cavani, Arsenal adds Partey on deadline day

Manchester United’s search for a striker ended with the signing of veteran free agent striker Edinson Cavani, while Arsenal secured midfielder Thomas Partey from Atlético Madrid before the summer transfer window closed on Monday.

The 33-year-old Cavani is prolific — scoring 200 goals in 301 games during seven years at Paris Saint-Germain but he was released at the end of his contract in June. And the Uruguay forward has not played since March and struggled with injury problems in his final season at PSG.

It took Arsenal meeting a 50 million euro ($59 million) release clause to sign the 27-year-old Partey, who anchored Atlético’s midfield with his strong defensive skills. Mixing speed and strength, the Ghanaian can provide a shield for the Arsenal defence and has an eye for goal.

“He is a dynamic midfielder with great energy,” Arsenal manager Mikel Arteta said. “He’s an intelligent footballer and we’re looking forward to him integrating into our system.”

Arsenal has made significant financial investment in Partey despite announcing plans in August to make 55 staff redundant to stem the losses caused by the pandemic, which has seen stadiums closed to fans. The spending strengthening the squad is necessary to return to the Champions League, with Arsenal fourth in the early standings.

Man United’s leadership had also warned its transfer activities would be hampered by the impact of the coronavirus, and was priced out of a move for 20-year-old Borussia Dortmund winger Jadon Sancho.

Instead, with United reeling from a 6-1 loss to Tottenham in the English Premier League on Sunday, ended up with a player in the twilight of his career in Cavani.

Given Cavani has been available for months, it is a sign of where he ranked on United’s target list that he was signed only in the final hours of the transfer window.

“I look forward to continuing to write my little story inside the book of football,” Cavani said, “and I know that’s why my focus has to remain the same as always — work, work, work.”

The Uruguayan has signed a one-season contract with the option for an additional year, and United’s second game after the international break is against PSG in the Champions League on Oct. 20.

“He’ll bring energy, power, leadership and a great mentality to the squad,” United manager Ole Gunnar Solskjaer said “But most importantly, he’ll bring goals.”

Solskjaer has been deploying Marcus Rashford, Anthony Martial and Mason Greenwood up front. The last striker United signed was a backup: Odion Ighalo on deadline day in January.

“The opportunity for our young players to learn from one of Europe’s top goalscorers over the last 10 years is fantastic,” Solskjaer said.

United’s need for reinforcements has been exposed by Solskjaer’s side collecting only three points from its first three league games.

Five deals were completed by United on deadline day including another Uruguayan, with 18-year-old winger Facundo Pellistri joining from Penarol in his homeland for 10 million euros.

Left back Alex Telles signed from Porto for 15 million euros plus potentially another 2 million euros depending on the 27-year-old Brazilian’s success with the club.

The 16-year-old centre back Willy Kambwala joined from Sochaux in a deal that could rise to four million euros. United struck an agreement with Atalanta that could ultimately cost 41 million euros to sign winger Amad Diallo, with the 18-year-old Ivorian set to move to England in January.

An outgoing from Old Trafford was centre back Chris Smalling joining Roma permanently after spending last season on loan at the Serie A club.

Smalling was a link with the Alex Ferguson era, winning Premier League titles in 2011 and 2013. The record 20-time English champions haven’t won the title since then.

GODFREY TO EVERTON

Everton is the surprise leader after winning four out of four. After remodeling his midfield to great effect, Everton manager Carlo Ancelotti added a defender by bringing in Ben Godfrey from second-tier Norwich for 25 million pounds ($32 million).

The 22-year-old Godfrey was part of the Norwich team that was relegated from the Premier League last season, but is regarded as a top prospect and was captain of England Under-21s last year.

With Mason Holgate and Jarrad Branthwaite injured, Ancelotti has no backup to centre backs Yerry Mina and Michael Keane as Everton looks to maintain its brilliant start to the season.

Everton has prioritized improving its midfield in this transfer window, signing Allan, Abdoulaye Doucoure and playmaker James Rodriguez. That led to Theo Walcott on Monday being sent on loan for the season to Southampton, the club he left at age 16 to join Arsenal in 2006.

WILSHERE LEAVES

Jack Wilshere is searching for a new club after agreeing with West Ham to terminate his contract. The 28-year-old midfielder managed just 19 appearances since joining from Arsenal in 2018.

___

More AP soccer: https://apnews.com/Soccer and https://twitter.com/AP_Sports

___

AP Sports Writer Steve Douglas contributed to this report.

Rob Harris, The Associated Press

soccer

Get local stories you won't find anywhere else right to your inbox.
Sign up here

Just Posted

Alberta children whose only symptom of COVID-19 is a runny nose or a sore throat will no longer require mandatory isolation, starting Monday.
477 new COVID-19 cases confirmed in Alberta on Thursday

Changes being made to the COVID-19 symptom list for school-age children

Chasetin Morin
Photo from RCMP
Three men accused of assaulting Blackfalds RCMP officer going to trial

RCMP officer shot and wounded one of alleged attackers in December 2019

The Cenovus Energy Inc. logo seen at the company's headquarters in Calgary, Alta., Wednesday, Nov. 15, 2017.THE CANADIAN PRESS/Jeff McIntosh
One-time costs of Husky takeover expected to be about $500 million, says Cenovus CEO

One-time costs of Husky takeover expected to be about $500 million, says Cenovus CEO

This drum circle was one of a multitude of activities held at The Hub on Ross in downtown Red Deer. The facility was permanently closed by the provincial government his week. (Advocate file photo.)
Many Red Deerians react with anger, dismay at closure of The Hub on Ross

Many disabled people can’t afford other recerational options, says guardian

Award-winning Calgary developer Brad Remington stands with Red Deer Mayor Tara Veer at the site of three multi-family condo complexes that are planned for Capstone, west of Carnival Cinemas. (Photo by LANA MICHELIn/Advocate staff).
$36M condo project on its way to Capstone development

Calgary developer plans to create 180 housing units to open in 2022

Alice Kolisnyk, deputy director of the Red Deer Food Bank, says the agency expects an increase in demand as the COVID-19 pandemic continues. Every new subscription to the Red Deer Advocate includes a $50 donation to the food bank. (Photo by BYRON HACKETT/Advocate Staff)
Support the food bank with a subscription to the Red Deer Advocate

The community’s most vulnerable members are always in need of a hand,… Continue reading

Workers at Olymel's Red Deer pork processing plant are among those eligible for a $2-an-hour bonus because of the pandemic.
Red Deer Advocate file photo
Two Olymel workers test positive for COVID-19 in Red Deer

Two workers at Olymel’s pork processing facility in Red Deer have tested… Continue reading

Ryan, Falcons avenge earlier loss to Panthers, 25-17

Ryan, Falcons avenge earlier loss to Panthers, 25-17

FILE - In this Oct. 28, 2015, file photo, former world boxing champion Roy Jones Jr. shows off his Russian passport during a news conference in Moscow, Russia. Mike Tyson and Jones got permission from California's athletic commission to return to the boxing ring next month because their fight would be strictly an exhibition of their once-unparalleled skills. (AP Photo/Ivan Sekretarev, File)
Mike Tyson, Roy Jones promise a fight in “exhibition” return

Mike Tyson, Roy Jones promise a fight in “exhibition” return

David Hearn watches his putt on the seventh hole during the first round of the Wyndham Championship golf tournament at Sedgefield Country Club on Thursday, Aug. 13, 2020, in Greensboro, N.C. David Hearn, like everyone, has been deeply effected by the COVID-19 pandemic. THE CANADIAN PRESS/AP, Chris Carlson
Canada’s Hearn looks to shake off poor 2020 results with more consistent play

Canada’s Hearn looks to shake off poor 2020 results with more consistent play

Malnati birdies half of holes to take 1-shot lead in Bermuda

Malnati birdies half of holes to take 1-shot lead in Bermuda

Penny Oleksiak swims the 200 metre race during the 2018 Team Canada finals in Edmonton on Wednesday July 18, 2018. The number of young swimmers in Canada is dwindling because of barriers posed by the COVID-19 pandemic. THE CANADIAN PRESS/Jason Franson
Swimming Canada urges pools to accommodate youth, says can be done safely

Swimming Canada urges pools to accommodate youth, says can be done safely

Canada's Meaghan Mikkelson (12) and Marie-Philip Poulin (29) defends against United States' Hilary Knight (21) during the third period of a rivalry series women's hockey game in Hartford, Conn., Saturday, Dec. 14, 2019. Gina Kingsbury, Hockey Canada's director of women's national teams, hopes a Rivalry Series against the United States can happen this winter.THE CANADIAN PRESS/AP/Michael Dwyer
Canadian women’s hockey team yearns for international competition

Canadian women’s hockey team yearns for international competition

Most Read