Ottawa Fury pro soccer team suspends operations

Ottawa Fury pro soccer team suspends operations

OTTAWA — The Canadian pro soccer landscape no longer includes the nation’s capital after Ottawa’s sports scene absorbed another blow Friday.

The Ottawa Fury have suspended operations, saying they have not been able to obtain required sanctioning from governing bodies to continue play in the American-based United Soccer League.

“How could this team be suspending operations? Politics, of course,” said team president John Pugh of the Ottawa Sports and Entertainment Group (OSEG), which owns the franchise.

“We needed to be sanctioned and that did not come. They knew our deadlines. They knew the deadlines we had been given by our league.”

The move continues a turbulent stretch for Ottawa sports.

OSEG, which also owns the CFL’s Redblacks and Ontario Hockey League’s 67’s, parted ways with Redblacks coach Rick Campbell earlier this week after that team finished last in the league.

The NHL’s Ottawa Senators sit near the bottom of the league standings and have endured numerous on- and off-ice controversies in recent years and minor-league baseball’s Ottawa Champions currently aren’t part of any league.

The Fury say they submitted a multi-year sanctioning application to Canada Soccer in April. That request was rejected, but the club says it received confirmation of a one-year sanction for 2020.

However, the Fury say US Soccer and CONCACAF, which governs the sport in North and Central America and the Caribbean, had not provided sanctioning prior to a Nov. 1 deadline for the Fury to be included in the 2020 USL schedule.

CONCACAF had pointed words for the Fury in a statement.

“We are disappointed and surprised by Ottawa Fury’s statement,” CONCACAF wrote. “There is a clearly defined process outlined in CONCACAF and FIFA rules for sanctioning clubs to compete in leagues in foreign territories.

“We have recently been working through an incomplete application for Ottawa Fury to compete in the United Soccer League in 2020. We will not comment on the details of that application, and given today’s announcement we now consider the matter closed.”

Canada Soccer, in a statement, said it is “extremely disappointed” the Fury are suspending operations. The group said it was working with CONCACAF and US Soccer as recently as Thursday to facilitate a decision being made by the other two governing bodies.

OSEG started its men’s pro team in 2014 in the North American Soccer League and joined the USL in 2017.

The Fury faced a battle late last year to get sanctioned by CONCACAF to play in the USL in 2019.

CONCACAF had balked at giving the Ottawa club the green light to continue play in the U.S. league when a Canadian alternative — the new Canadian Premier League — was set to start earlier this year.

CONCACAF changed its tune after the Fury went to the Court of Arbitration for Sport for help.

Ottawa had been widely expected to be the CPL’s eighth team. But the Fury, while saying it supported the idea of a Canadian league, said last September they planned to stick with the tried-and-tested USL at least for the 2019 season.

OSEG president/CEO Mark Goudie said he saw the Fury potentially joining the CPL some day, but wanted it to be on their own terms. He said having the right to choose what league they played in was important.

When the team signed its USL franchise agreement, there was an out clause to join the CPL, with the club needing to give a year of notice. That means if the team wanted to join the CPL for 2020, the Fury would have had to make the call before the Canadian league came into existence.

Up until recently, Goudie said he thought the team was in “OK shape” to get sanctioning for 2020.

“If they did not want us to play in the USL, I wish they had the courage to stand up and say that versus drag their feet,” Goudie said.

Pugh and general manager Julian De Guzman thanked fans, players, and fellow USL teams for their ongoing support.

“The club is defined by its fans. I am sorry,” said Pugh. “This never needed to have happened.”

Longtime Fury player Carl Haworth said, through tears, his first thought went to the kids who had supported the team.

“You see it a lot in lower-level sports where a team is forced to fold but it’s down to financial constraints. That wasn’t at play here,” he said. “It would probably have been easier to take if that was the case.”

Goudie said the team did not make money this season, but didn’t specify how much the Fury lost.

The biggest impact on Ottawa with the Fury ceasing operations, he said, is on OSEG’s credibility after investing $15 million in soccer since 2014.

“We made a commitment to Ottawa to have three strong franchises operating in Ottawa,” Goudie said, “and we’re not going to be able to fulfil that with soccer.”

Get local stories you won't find anywhere else right to your inbox.
Sign up here

Just Posted

Alberta Premier Rachel Notley shakes hands with Joel Ward, Red Deer College President and CEO, as Notley announces that the college is now on the path to grant degrees. (Photo by MURRAY CRAWFORD/Advocate staff)
Future of Red Deer University increasingly uncertain

MLA’s college update says RDC more like SAIT and NAIT than a university

Alberta Premier Jason Kenney said the Canadian government should consider sanctions on the U.S. if they refuse to reconsider the decision to cancel the Keystone XL Pipeline. (THE CANADIAN PRESS/Sean Kilpatrick
Keystone XL officially cancelled, Kenney vows to fight on

U.S. President Joe Biden cancelled the presidential permit for the pipeline on first day of office

Problems with vagrancy in downtown Red Deer were behind a push to build a 24/7 shelter in the city. Nearly a year after a $7 million commitment from the province, there is little movement on this "top priority" project. (Advocate file photo).
Little progress on ‘top priority’ 24/7 homeless shelter project for Red Deer

No details can yet be provided by the city or province

Blackfalds RCMP are investigating two suspicious fires that happened in Lacombe County in November. (File photo by Advocate staff)
Central Alberta man charged for exposing himself in public

The man was charged under similar circumstances in 2019

Alberta’s chief medical officer of health Dr. Deena Hinshaw said province’s test positivity rate for COVID-19 is steadily declining. (Photo by Chris Schwarz/Government of Alberta)
669 new COVID-19 cases in Alberta, 21 additional deaths

COVID-19 test positivity rate down to 4.5 per cent

Indigenous Services Minister Marc Miller speaks during a news conference in Ottawa, Wednesday Jan. 20, 2021. Miller is criticizing the Quebec premier's refusal to exempt homeless people from the provincewide curfew following the weekend death of Raphael "Napa" Andre, a 51-year-old Innu man found dead in a portable toilet not far from a homeless shelter he frequented. THE CANADIAN PRESS/Adrian Wyld
Indigenous services minister says Quebec premier should show ‘humanity’ to homeless

Indigenous services minister says Quebec premier should show ‘humanity’ to homeless

People work out at an outdoor gym in downtown Montreal, Friday, Nov. 6, 2020. A new study links the fitness level of Canadian children to that of their parents. THE CANADIAN PRESS/Paul Chiasson
StatCan study finds some correlation between child and parent fitness levels

StatCan study finds some correlation between child and parent fitness levels

Experts say pandemic fuelling apparent spike in eating disorders among adolescents

Experts say pandemic fuelling apparent spike in eating disorders among adolescents

Dr. Samantha Hill, president of the Ontario Medical Association, is shown in a handout photo. The head of the Ontario Medical Association says dangerous misinformation about COVID-19 vaccines is spreading on social media among all age groups. THE CANADIAN PRESS/HO
Vaccine myths running rampant online among all age groups, Ontario docs say

Vaccine myths running rampant online among all age groups, Ontario docs say

CannTrust employees work with cannabis products at their packaging and extraction facility in Vaughan, Ont., on Wednesday, Dec. 19, 2018. CannTrust Holdings Inc. says it will create a $50-million trust to settle claims from class action lawsuits filed after the company was found growing cannabis in unlicensed rooms two years ago. THE CANADIAN PRESS/Nathan Denette
CannTrust to create $50M trust to settle lawsuits, signs restructuring agreement

CannTrust to create $50M trust to settle lawsuits, signs restructuring agreement

Eldar Saetre CEO of Equinor speaks as he gives the company quarterly capital market update in London, Thursday, Feb. 6, 2020. THE CANADIAN PRESS/AP/Alastair Grant
Norwegian oil company Equinor completes oilsands exit by selling Athabasca Oil shares

Norwegian oil company Equinor completes oilsands exit by selling Athabasca Oil shares

Bank of Canada Governor Tiff Macklem takes part in a news conference at the Bank of Canada in Ottawa on December 15, 2020. Canada's central bank will update its economic forecast for the country that will offer a window when it expects a recovery from the COVID-19 pandemic to take hold. THE CANADIAN PRESS/Sean Kilpatrick
Vaccination efforts key to economic recovery, BoC says as it keeps rate on hold

Vaccination efforts key to economic recovery, BoC says as it keeps rate on hold

In this Dec. 18, 2020 photo, pipes to be used for the Keystone XL pipeline are stored in a field near Dorchester, Neb.  THE CANADIAN PRESS/AP-Chris Machian /Omaha World-Herald via AP
Biden delivers on promise to cancel Keystone XL permit; TC Energy halts project

Biden delivers on promise to cancel Keystone XL permit; TC Energy halts project

Most Read