Two Red Deer teams won gold at the 25th annual Red Deer City Soccer Association Coca-Cola Classic Sunday.
The Red Deer Renegades edged Calgary Foothills Vypers 1-0 in the U14 Tier II girls’ division while Red Deer United beat the Coaldale Thunder 4-0 in the U16 Tier II girls’ category.
The Renegades downed the Edmonton Drillers 2-1 and tied the Vypers and Fort McMurray Fury 0-0 in pool play.
The Vypers defeated the Fury 6-1 and the Drillers 3-1.
• The Lacombe Panthers finished second in the U14 Tier III boys’ Red Division, dropping a 4-1 decision to the Sherwood Park Phoenix in the final.
Lacombe lost 4-2 to the Phoenix in pool play before edging Calgary Santos 2-1.
In the semifinals they defeated Edmonton Sting 4-2.
Red Deer United finished sixth, losing 6-1 to Santos in the fifth-place game.
United lost 6-1 to Coaldale and 5-0 to the Sting in their pool.
• The Red Deer Renegades won bronze in both the U14 Tier I boys’ division and the U16 Tier II boys’ category.
In the U14 class, the Renegades posted a 2-2 record in round-robin play, losing 4-0 to the Edmonton Strikers and 3-0 to the Edmonton Drillers while beating the Grande Prairie Wolves 2-0 and the Edmonton West Warriors 2-1.
The Drillers had a 4-0 record to win gold with the Strikers at 3-1.
In the U16 division, the Renegades downed the Airdrie Aztecs 4-1 in the bronze medal contest after losing 2-0 to the Chilliwack Attack in the semifinals.
The Attack dropped a 3-0 decision to the Sunny South Strikers in the final.
In pool play the Renegades beat Calgary United 5-0 and the Attack 1-0. Red Deer United lost to Edmonton Juventus and Airdrie in their pool.
• The U14 Tier II boys’ White Division saw the Red Deer Renegades drop a 4-2 decision to Lakeland United in the semifinals.
Lakeland lost 6-1 to Camrose in the final.
The Renegades beat Calgary Rage 3-1 and lost 6-1 to Camrose in pool play.
• The Red Deer Renegades U12 tier II boys’ squad finished fourth, losing 3-1 to the Edmonton Drillers in the third-place game.
They lost 4-2 to Calgary Arsenal in the semifinals.
Edmonton Mill Woods beat the Arsenal 4-1 in the final.
In pool play the Renegades lost 5-1 to the Drillers and beat Terrance, B.C. 5-3.
• Red Deer United took fifth in the U12 Tier III boys’ division, beating the Edmonton Sting 3-1 in the fifth-place game.
In pool action, the United crew lost 7-2 to the Edmonton Xtreme and 4-2 to the Calgary Foothills Stars.
Calgary Supra edged Coaldale 4-3 in the final.
• The Red Deer Renegades and United both missed the playoffs in the U14 Tier II boys’ division.
The Renegades lost 3-0 to the Calgary Villians, 5-0 to the Calgary Strikers and 3-2 to Fort McMurray. The United squad lost 4-1 to Medicine Hat, 2-1 to the Calgary Spurs and 2-0 to Edmonton Scottish. The Calgary Strikers downed the Spurs 3-2 in the final.
• The Sunny South posted a 4-0 record to win the U18 tier II boys’ title with Medicine Hat at 3-1 and the Calgary Royals 2-2.