Victims of former national ski coach Bertrand Charest are each seeking $300,000 in damages for psychological, physical and sexual abuse they suffered. (Photo by THE CANADIAN PRESS)

Victims of former ski coach Charest say they were ‘sacrificed’ by Alpine Canada

MONTREAL — A lawsuit filed Wednesday against Alpine Canada by three victims of former national ski coach Bertrand Charest alleges the sports federation covered up the sexual abuse in the interest of results on the slopes and sponsorship money.

“The plaintiffs were sacrificed by Alpine (Canada) on the altar of performance and sponsors,” the statement of claim says.

The women are former Canadian skiers Genevieve Simard, Gail Kelly and Anna Prchal, who were all minors at the time of the sex-related crimes for which Charest was convicted in June 2017.

They are each seeking $300,000 in damages for psychological, physical and sexual abuse they suffered. They are also seeking $150,000 each in punitive damages.

The suit, which has not been tested in court, says Alpine Canada did not take even the most basic steps to prevent the abuse. It alleges the organization was made aware of Charest’s troubling behaviour before it hired him in 1996.

After it became known in 1998 that Charest was having sexual relations with a number of his young skiers, Alpine Canada’s program director at the time, Joze Sparovec, was dispatched to the French Alps — where the team was competing — to deal with the crisis.

The lawsuit says that in a frosty meeting with Sparovec and two team officials, Simard remained silent about the abuse while Prchal and another skier, Allison Forsyth, acknowledged they had been abused. Kelly, in a state of “significant emotional and psychological distress,” met Sparovec alone.

The lawsuit alleges Kelly was asked to sign a document promising not to take legal action against Alpine Canada if the incidents adversely affected her athletic career. It says she signed without even reading the document.

Charest was forced to resign as a national coach, but Alpine Canada never withdrew his coaching license, the suit alleges. And it says that “even though a crime had been committed against minors for whom it was responsible,” Alpine Canada did not notify police.

“During the rest of their careers as skiers, the code of silence prevailed at the heart of the Alpine (Canada) organization,” reads the suit, filed in Montreal. “Nobody spoke of the events. The victims felt guilty and responsible for the abuse.”

Alpine Canada said Wednesday it is studying the details of the lawsuit and declined a request for an interview. In a statement, the federation said discussions with Charest’s victims continue, and it is providing support to the extent that it is able.

“These women have shown extraordinary courage in agreeing to speak, and we salute their determination and their commitment to contribute to change,” the statement said.

It took the victims years before they felt able to go to authorities and bring Charest to justice. He was sentenced last December to 12 years in prison for sex crimes. He is appealing both the verdict and his sentence.

The lawsuit says the plaintiffs have lived with “multiple, devastating” effects of the abuse.

It says punitive damages are warranted because Alpine Canada was “wilfully blind” in its handling of Charest: “It covered its actions, seeking to smother a scandal, which led to repeated abuses on its part against the plaintiffs.”

It is also alleged that Alpine Canada rejected the plaintiffs’ effort to resolve their claim through private mediation, which would spared them having to recount again in court their abuse.

Get local stories you won't find anywhere else right to your inbox.
Sign up here

Just Posted

Alberta children whose only symptom of COVID-19 is a runny nose or a sore throat will no longer require mandatory isolation, starting Monday.
477 new COVID-19 cases confirmed in Alberta on Thursday

Changes being made to the COVID-19 symptom list for school-age children

Chasetin Morin
Photo from RCMP
Three men accused of assaulting Blackfalds RCMP officer going to trial

RCMP officer shot and wounded one of alleged attackers in December 2019

The Cenovus Energy Inc. logo seen at the company's headquarters in Calgary, Alta., Wednesday, Nov. 15, 2017.THE CANADIAN PRESS/Jeff McIntosh
One-time costs of Husky takeover expected to be about $500 million, says Cenovus CEO

One-time costs of Husky takeover expected to be about $500 million, says Cenovus CEO

This drum circle was one of a multitude of activities held at The Hub on Ross in downtown Red Deer. The facility was permanently closed by the provincial government his week. (Advocate file photo.)
Many Red Deerians react with anger, dismay at closure of The Hub on Ross

Many disabled people can’t afford other recerational options, says guardian

Award-winning Calgary developer Brad Remington stands with Red Deer Mayor Tara Veer at the site of three multi-family condo complexes that are planned for Capstone, west of Carnival Cinemas. (Photo by LANA MICHELIn/Advocate staff).
$36M condo project on its way to Capstone development

Calgary developer plans to create 180 housing units to open in 2022

Alice Kolisnyk, deputy director of the Red Deer Food Bank, says the agency expects an increase in demand as the COVID-19 pandemic continues. Every new subscription to the Red Deer Advocate includes a $50 donation to the food bank. (Photo by BYRON HACKETT/Advocate Staff)
Support the food bank with a subscription to the Red Deer Advocate

The community’s most vulnerable members are always in need of a hand,… Continue reading

Workers at Olymel's Red Deer pork processing plant are among those eligible for a $2-an-hour bonus because of the pandemic.
Red Deer Advocate file photo
Two Olymel workers test positive for COVID-19 in Red Deer

Two workers at Olymel’s pork processing facility in Red Deer have tested… Continue reading

Hockey Canada still holding out hope that Lafreniere can play in world juniors

Hockey Canada still holding out hope that Lafreniere can play in world juniors

CFL unveils Grey Cup Unite, a virtual program to celebrate traditional Grey Cup week

CFL unveils Grey Cup Unite, a virtual program to celebrate traditional Grey Cup week

Canadian Football League commissioner Randy Ambrosie delivers his annual state of the league address to reporters during the CFL Grey Cup week in Calgary, Friday, Nov. 22, 2019. Ambrosie says the league is examining all of its options to stage a 2021 season. THE CANADIAN PRESS/Todd Korol
CFL commissioner Randy Ambrosie says league exploring all options to hold 2021 season

CFL commissioner Randy Ambrosie says league exploring all options to hold 2021 season

Chief Financial Officer of Huawei, Meng Wanzhou leaves her home in Vancouver, Wednesday, October 28, 2020. THE CANADIAN PRESS/Jonathan Hayward
Border officers and RCMP discussed sharing info before Meng arrest: officer

Border officers and RCMP discussed sharing info before Meng arrest: officer

Conservative leader Erin O'Toole asks a question during question period in the House of Commons on Parliament Hill in Ottawa on Thursday, Oct. 29, 2020. The House of Commons has given approval in principle to a bill that would make it easier for dying Canadians to get medical help to end their suffering. THE CANADIAN PRESS/Sean Kilpatrick
Assisted-dying bill wins approval in principle over Conservative objections

Assisted-dying bill wins approval in principle over Conservative objections

Matthew Vincent Raymond arrives at Court of Queen's Bench for the opening of his murder trial in Fredericton on Tuesday, Sept. 15, 2020. THE CANADIAN PRESS/Andrew Vaughan
Shooter says he feels ‘horrible’ over Fredericton shootings that left four dead

Shooter says he feels ‘horrible’ over Fredericton shootings that left four dead

Most Read