• The Ross Street Piano is back for the summer. This community piano is located in front 4916 – 50 Street. Play it; it’s yours.
• Red Deer and area Toastmasters welcomes new guests to regular meetings on the following days and times: Sunrise meets Tuesdays at 7:15 a.m. at the Hub on Ross, phone Mavis at 403-343-0091, email to firstname.lastname@example.org, or email@example.com; Kitowin meets the first and third Wednesdays of each month at 7:30 p.m. in room 2402 at the Red Deer College while in session, phone Kathryn at 403-342-1075, or email to firstname.lastname@example.org; Dream Catchers meet on Thursdays at 1 p.m. at Cosmos Centre, phone Kim at 403-343-0715, or email to email@example.com; Sylvan Slick Speakers meet on Mondays at Gospel Chapel in Sylvan Lake at 7 p.m., phone Debbie at 403-887-0968, or email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
• MAGsparks is offered on Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays from 1 to 3 p.m. at the Red Deer Museum and Art Gallery. July 18-29 topic is Picture Perfect Pastels for a cost of $10. Materials and instruction supplied. There is a drop-in fee of $2. Memberships are available for persons with disabilities. For information or to ask questions, contact Janet at 403-309-8449, email, email@example.com or visit www.reddeermuseum.com
• Red Deer Aboriginal Employments Services provides services to Aboriginal People including resumes, cover letters, research, and job postings. For more information call 403-358-7734 or drop in to #202, 4909 48 Street, 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m., closed noon to 1 p.m.
• Walk and Roll — Central Alberta Stroke Survivor’s event, will be held on July 19, noon, at McKenzie Trails. Stroke survivors, their families and friends will participate in a one km walk to raise awareness. Following the walk, a potluck barbecue will be held. To register call 403-887-4399.
• Red Deer Legion Branch #35 offers karaoke at Molly B’s Pub on Tuesdays and Thursdays at 7 p.m., and wing night on Thursdays from 5 to 10 p.m. Phone 403-342-0035.
• Lacombe Seventh Day Adventist Food and Clothing Bank welcomes gently used items at 5025 53 St. in Lacombe. Hours of operation are Tuesdays and Wednesdays from 1 to 4 p.m., Thursdays from 6 to 8 p.m., and Fridays from 1 to 3 p.m. Contact Millie at 403-782-6777.
• Lacombe and District Garden Club meets the third Tuesday of each month at 7 p.m. at #4 Iron Wolf Boulevard (lower level). Phone Pamela at 403-782-5061.
• Westerner Parade Day barbecue will be offered at the Red Deer Museum and Art Gallery from 10:30 a.m. to 1:30 p.m. on July 20. Enjoy refreshments, family fun activities, face painting at the CentreFest tent and free admission to the museum after noon.
• ART&facts Biking Tour will be held on July 20, departing 7 p.m. from the Lions Campground Amphitheatre. Join Pat Matheson for a tour of public art via the Waskasoo Park Trail systems. Tour is co-presented by Kerry Wood Nature Centre, the Red Deer Museum and Art Gallery and the City of Red Deer Culture Services. Call 403-346-2010 for more information.
• Parade Luncheon will be offered at Senior Citizens Downtown House will be held on July 20 from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. Cost is $5 in advance. Call 403-346-4043.
• Red Deer Legion Old Time Dance with Randy Hillman is on July 20 at 7:30 p.m. Cost is $6, or $11.95 with buffet starting at 5 p.m. Phone 403-342-0035.
• Splash into Summer with the Penhold and District Public Library free summer reading program. On July 20 enjoy Pirate Day for ages four to 6, 10:30 a.m to noon and ages seven to 12 from 1:30 to 3:30 p.m. Call 403-886-2636 for more information.
• Norwegian Laft Hus Society Museum is a handcrafted replica of a 17th century farmhouse from the Numedal District in Norway, including a sod roof and collection of antiques. Located in Heritage Square behind the Recreation Centre, the museum’s summer hours are Tuesday to Friday, 10 a.m. to 4 p.m., weekends from noon to 4 p.m. and closed Mondays and holidays. Join in the weekly session of Norwegian Rosemaling, painting, Hardanger embroidery or other crafts. Lessons are available. Phone 403-347-2055 for more information.
• Sit and Be Fit exercise program is held on Wednesdays starting at 10:45 a.m. at the Golden Circle. A $2 drop-in fee applies. Phone 403-343-6074.
• Downtown Market will be held on Wednesdays from 4 to 7 p.m. from June 2 to Oct. 6 at the former Arlington Hotel site at the corner of 51 Ave. and 49 St. Contact Laura at 403-340-8692.
• Red Deer Legion Parade Day events feature beef-on-a-bun luncheon, $5, from noon to 1:30 p.m., entertainment with Randy Hillman from 1 to 3 p.m., buffet with dance, $11.95 at 5 p.m. and a senior dance with Randy Hillman, $6, from 7:30 to 10;30 p.m.
• Tea, luncheon and tour will be hosted by the ladies of Sunnybrook Farm Museum on July 20 from noon to 3 p.m. Relax in the 1889 log house and enjoy a lunch, home-made pie and musical entertainment. Then take a seat on the guided tour wagon and learn about the history of the farm museum. Cost is $10. Large groups please call ahead. For more information call 403-340-3511.
• Red Deer Native Friendship Society will hold an Elders Wisdom Circle on July 20, noon to 1:30 p.m. at Bertha’s Place on Ross St. Bring a special dish for the community potluck lunch. Wellbriety, a culturally based 12 step program, is offered from 7 to 9 p.m. on Wednesdays. Call 403-340-0020 for more information.
• Red Deer Area Hikers meet on July 21 at the north side of the Red Deer Curling Club parking lot at 8:30 a.m. to depart for a 10 km hike to Bower Ponds. Hike will be cancelled if raining or about to rain. Bring lunch. Phone Art at 403-347-5778, or Jim at 403-347-1684.
• Songwriting workshop with Justine at the Hub goes from 3 to 3:30 p.m. Workshop is free.
• Central Alberta Prostate Awareness and Support Group meets the third Thursday of each month at 7:30 p.m. at Gaetz Memorial United Church in the parlour. The next meeting is July 21. This group has a great deal of experience and information to share. Knowing about the prostate, symptoms of prostate cancer, and other prostate diseases can save your life. Men and spouses are welcome. Phone 403-350-5511.
• Summer day camps at the Kerry Wood Nature Centre are offered in both French and English. Call 403-346-2010 for more information.
• Pancake Breakfast, hosted by Servus Credit Union will be held at the Taylor Plaza Branch on July 21 from 7 to 10 a.m. All donations will go to United Way.
• Grandparents’ Day program on July 21 offers interactive garden activities at Billyco Junction from 9:30 to 11:30 a.m. and nature-related activities at Ellis Bird Farm from 1 to 3 p.m. The cost is $20 per child, with no charge for grandparents. Pre-register by calling Kiera at 403-885-4477.
• Cosmos Employment Expo will run on July 22 from 1 to 4 p.m. at 7482 49 Ave. Potential and participating employers will have the opportunity to discuss the benefits of Cosmos Employment Access program — Hiring individuals with barriers. Register by June 30 to 403-341-2363 or email ea@Wcosmosreddeer.org.
• Friday afternoon concerts will be held at The Hub from 1 to 3 p.m. Admission is free. July 22 features Mjaa and Charlie. For more information all 403-340-4869.
• Meet the Critter on July 22 from 1 to 4 p.m. at the Kerry Wood Nature Centre. Drop in and learn about salamanders with games, activities and a chance to meet a live tiger salamander. Admission by suggested donation of $3 per person or $10 per family. Call the centre at 403-346-2010 for more information.
• Nature Savvy Saturdays at Kerry Wood Nature Centre are offered from 1 to 4 p.m. each week. Enjoy a nature-themed craft or activity. All ages invited to drop in and for a seasonal nature-inspired craft or activity. Phone 403-346-2010.
• Red Deer Runners meet at the Red Deer Recreation Centre every Saturday at 9 a.m. for a fun run. Novice to advanced runners who want to meet new people and enjoy the social atmosphere of a group are invited to participate touring around the city on sidewalks and city trails, and learn more about the trails. Once a month the group hosts a fun event. See www.reddeerrunners.org, or phone 403-347-0430.
• Show and Shine at Parkland Mall’s north east parking lot will be held in conjunction with Westerner Days starting at 9:30 a.m. on July 23. There will be face paining and games for children. Trophies and door prizes will be awarded at 3 p.m. Show and Shine is sponsored by Buy and Sell by Photo. The movie Ghostbusters will follow outdoors at dusk. Gates open at 8 p.m. and the cost per car is $10, with all proceeds from these events to STARS. Phone 403-314-2702, or 403-343-8807.
• Edible plant walk at the Kerry Wood Nature Centre goes on July 24 at 2 p.m. Learn about some of the edible plants in Central Alberta. Admission by suggested donation of $3 per person or $10 per family. Call the centre at 403-346-2010 for more information.
• Discovery Sundays are offered at Kerry Wood Nature Centre from 1 to 4 p.m. to learn something new about the natural world around us. Drop in, or phone 403-346-2010 to find out more.
• Theatre Alberta Artstrek, a residential summer theatre program for teens held at Red Deer College, presents a public sharing of play excerpts on July 24, at 10 a.m. at the Arts Centre Mainstage. Admission is free.
• Red Deer and District Garden Club meets for a club barbecue on July 24 at Bower Community Centre at 3 p.m. Their annual flower and garden show goes on Aug. 18 at the Golden Circle. For more information, please call Carol at 403-340-2192.