APEX, N.C. — Kelley Davis and her family are in savings mode. Davis works extra hours as a physical therapist, and she clipped coupons to save $70 during a recent trip to the grocery store.
So Davis was excited recently to put $400 cash in her account. But when she reached into her pocket, the bills were missing; unbeknownst to her, the money was already inside a variety of Swiss bank account.
Specifically, it was inside Augie, the family’s two-year-old greater Swiss mountain dog.
Before her errands, Davis, 42, set the cash on her bedroom bureau. Augie apparently helped himself.
A day later, Davis took Augie for a long walk. Augie did not disappoint.
Davis saw in his leavings pieces of the three $100 bills and five twenties. She took up a garden hose.
“Kids, get the colander,” she said, remembering the moment. “I’m out there panning for gold.”
The cash shouldn’t endanger Augie, said Dr. Steve Marks, an associate professor of internal medicine and critical care at the North Carolina State University Veterinary School.
“Dogs will ingest almost anything if given the chance,” Marks said.
Davis had the remnants of $160. If she can find enough pieces, she hopes the government will exchange them.
Federal regulations say mutilated currency can be replaced.