Beach goers at Pine Lake will have to find another swimming hole.
A blue-green algae alert was issued for the Central Alberta lake on Monday afternoon.
Pine lake is 45 km southeast of Red Deer.
Alberta Health Services advises residents living near the lake’s shores, as well as visitors, not drink the water, not to swim or wade, or allow pets to swim or wade, avoid contact with algae on the shoreline and not allow pets to consume fish or fish trimmings from this lake.
Blue-green algae produces a poison that can cause illness in animals or humans who even have skin contact with the water.
Symptoms can include skin irritation, rash, sore throat, sore red eyes, swollen lips, fever, nausea and vomiting and/or diarrhea, lasting for about two days.
People who consume contaminated water as a primary drinking source can develop more serious issues, such as liver damage, over time.
Even if weather and wind conditions cause the algae blooms to move to a different location or lake, the toxin can stay in the water for a period afterwards. Boiling algae-contaminated water will not remove the poison. The advisory will remain in effect until further notice, said AHS.
If anyone suspects a problem related to blue-green algae, or requires further information, call Health Link Alberta at 1-866-408-5465 (LINK).