Careless smoking blamed for fire

An attended cigarette sparked a fire forcing an evacuation in Riverside Meadows on Saturday night.

An attended cigarette sparked a fire forcing an evacuation in Riverside Meadows on Saturday night.

Deputy fire chief Greg Adair said Red Deer Emergency Services crews were called to a fire in a four-storey apartment complex at 5100 60 Street.

Adair said the fire contained to one suite on the second floor of the building because the sprinklers in the building activated the emergency sprinkler system.

There was no damage estimate available on Sunday.

Adair said careless cigarette smoking caused the fire.

“Be a responsible smoker,” said Adair. “Don’t leave cigarettes or candles unattended at any time.”