Civil lawsuit filed in Calgary fire that killed three

CALGARY — Three grieving families who lost their young adult children in a fatal house fire two years ago have launched a lawsuit against the landlord of the building.

CALGARY — Three grieving families who lost their young adult children in a fatal house fire two years ago have launched a lawsuit against the landlord of the building.

Tiffany Cox, Jonathan St. Pierre and Colleen Mantei all died after being trapped in their basement suite after a fire erupted, while a visiting friend, Tammy Adacsi, survived.

There was no working smoke detector and the security bars on the windows were bolted.

In 2009, mother and son property owners Akif and Bushra Amin were fined $90,000 for safety violations, pleading guilty to all charges.

But the families say there needs to be more accountability.

Lisa St. Pierre, Jonathan’s mother, says she isn’t angry and has forgiven the property owners, but says there must be consequences for negligence.

“Jonathan had a short life and sometimes I think at least I was blessed to have him for 19 years,” she said.

Colleen’s mother, Joan Mantei, said she thinks all the time about the situation her daughter was in.

“There was no way for her to get out of there,” said Mantei. “She wouldn’t have known there was only one exit — the fire was in front of that exit.”

Cox’s mother, Mitzi Gaudry, said she hasn’t been able yet to move on.

“It’s putting that grieving process in such a dark place for me. I’m sort of on hold and I need to move forward. The only way to do that is to fight.”

Tiffany’s sister, Brianne Cox, said everything’s made harder by that Adacsi, who suffered carbon monoxide poisoning, has also filed a lawsuit, not just against the property owners but also the estates of Tiffany and Jonathan.

“They’re dead. What more do you want?” asked Brianne Cox. “She has her life. Unfortunately, those other three kids don’t, and she should be grateful for that every day.”

Statements of defence have not yet been filed.

Get local stories you won't find anywhere else right to your inbox.
Sign up here

Just Posted

Education Minister Adriana LaGrange says she has not received an official request from any other school board for a similar move to online learning. (Advocate file photo)
’Operational pressures:’ Calgary schools shift to at-home learning for grades 7 to 12

School boards can ask to move online for a number of reasons

Russian President Vladimir Putin visits the Coordination Center of the Russian Government in Moscow, Russia, Tuesday, April 13, 2021. The centre was set up as a line of communication with the whole of Russia for analysing and collecting information, promptly using big data and solving arising problems. (Mikhail Metzel, Sputnik, Kremlin Pool Photo via AP)
Months after hack, US poised to announce sanctions on Russia

First retaliatory action against the Kremlin for last year’s hack

WestJet president and CEO Ed Sims addresses the airline’s annual meeting in Calgary, Tuesday, May 7, 2019. THE CANADIAN PRESS/Jeff McIntosh
WestJet CEO Ed Sims finds Air Canada aid package ‘bittersweet’ as talks drag on

OTTAWA — WestJet CEO Ed Sims says the federal government’s aid package… Continue reading

British Columbia Premier John Horgan (centre, blue jacket) is drummed into the Lower Post Residential School by Kaska drummers in Lower Post, B.C. on Orange Shirt Day in a 2019 handout photo. A former residential school building known as a place of pain and fear for residents of the remote British Columbia community of Lower Post will be demolished and replaced after decades of lobbying efforts by local Indigenous leaders. The federal and B.C. governments say construction on a new $13.5 building project is set to start in June and expected to be complete next year. THE CANADIAN PRESS/HO-Manu Keggenhoff MANDATORY CREDIT
Residential school building at Lower Post, B.C., to be demolished, replaced

VICTORIA — A former residential school building in the remote British Columbia… Continue reading

A 60-year-old COVID-19 patient fights for his life, desperately gasping for air as head intensivist Dr. Ali Ghafouri, centre, provides life saving medical care in an emergency situation in the intensive care unit at the Humber River Hospital during the COVID-19 pandemic in Toronto on Tuesday, April 13, 2021. The patient was intubated and put on a ventilator successfully. THE CANADIAN PRESS/Nathan Denette
‘Sicker and younger’: Toronto ICU copes with pressure during third wave of pandemic

TORONTO — Intensive care nurse Jane Abas is assessing her patient, checking… Continue reading

FILE - NHL Commissioner Gary Bettman speaks during the “Topping Off” ceremony of the New York Islanders new home, the UBS Arena at Belmont Park in Elmont, N.Y., Friday, Oct. 9, 2020. THE CANADIAN PRESS/AP-Mary Altaffer
Islanders close to selling out inaugural season at UBS Arena

Arena capacity of about 17,000 for hockey

An Uber Eats delivery person carries items near the Japan National Stadium, where opening ceremony and other events are planned for postponed Tokyo 2020 Olympics, with engravings in honor of 1964 Tokyo Olympics seen on the side of the stadium wall behind the fence Tuesday, April 6, 2021, in Tokyo. Two top officials of Japan’s ruling LDP party on Thursday, April 15, 2021, said radical changes could be coming to the Tokyo Olympics. One went as far to suggest they still could be canceled, and the other that even if they proceed, it might be without any fans.(AP Photo/Eugene Hoshiko)
Officials say Olympic cancellation, no fans still an option

COVID-19 cases have been rising across Japan

FILE - In this Jan. 24, 2020 file photo, co-directors Jim LeBrecht, left, and Nicole Newnham, center, from the documentary “Crip Camp” pose with film subject Judith Heumann during the Sundance Film Festival in Park City, Utah. The disabled have a moment in the Oscar spotlight that they hope becomes a movement. LeBrecht, who has spina bifida and uses a wheelchair, says a golden age for disabled films could come if Hollywood lets them tell their own stories. (Photo by Charles Sykes/Invision/AP, File)
The disabled hope their Oscar moment can become a movement

Traditionally the disabled appear only when an actor seeking an Oscar-worthy role plays one on screen

FILE - Diane Warren poses for a portrait at the 90th Academy Awards Nominees Luncheon on Feb. 5, 2018, in Beverly Hills, Calif. Warren is nominated for an Oscar for best original song for her work in “The Life Ahead” starring Sophia Loren. (Photo by Chris Pizzello/Invision/AP, File)
12-time Oscar nominee Diane Warren hopes for ‘awesome’ win

Third movie adaptation of the 1975 Romain Gary novel ‘The Life Before Us’

opinion
Opinion: Waiting 4 months between vaccine doses too long

“It’s not just a matter of potency, it’s a matter of the… Continue reading

Most Read