Re: Joe McLaughlin Insight of Jan. 26, on an Alberta sales tax in the Red Deer Advocate.
He must be on some other planet. The Progressive Conservative government of the day and past years has spent us into debt, and will waste any new money generated from a sales tax. Taxpayers will not see a balanced budget, only more money for PC government politicians to line up to the money trough again.
There is not a month that goes by without some article in the Advocate about Conservative government waste, federal and provincial.
A few questions:
1. Why not increase royalties on our resources? Or leave the oil in the ground? The PC government is only wasting our resource money anyway.
2. U.S. and other foreign companies welcome a low dollar for our oil so they can refine it and then sell it at a profit.
3. Are foreign workers paying taxes to Alberta?
4. Slow down the development of the tarsands. All companies should be required to provide training to Canadians first before bringing in any foreign workers.
5. Why the rush to make huge profits at a low price, and then pay to other provinces billions in transfer payments?
And as far as McLaughlin’s comment on the GST, it is nothing but bull. I may be wrong but the GST was to pay down the federal debt, the PC government put the money into general revenue so we still have it today.