Discarded cigarette blamed for Normandeau fire

A discarded cigarette sparked a mattress fire in Normandeau on Wednesday.

A discarded cigarette sparked a mattress fire in Normandeau on Wednesday.

The fire was contained to the mattress and box spring in a bedroom, causing $300 damage and minor smoke damage.

Three of the five smoke detectors in the home had been removed. One detector was working.

Before leaving the scene, Red Deer Emergency Services personnel installed several battery-operated smoke detectors.

Emergency Services reminds the public to keep fire safety in mind by not tampering with or removing smoke alarms from your home. Check your smoke alarm and call 911 as soon if you see smoke or flames.