Documents suggest accused war criminal left years ago

An Alberta man accused of being a war criminal may have left Canada more than five years ago.

MEDICINE HAT — An Alberta man accused of being a war criminal may have left Canada more than five years ago.

Canadian Border Services says Dimitrije Karic is one of 30 people the agency is looking for in relation to false visa applications by alleged war criminals or human rights violators.

However, Canadian immigration documents suggest the former resident of Medicine Hat left the country on Oct. 12, 2005.

The document, dated Aug. 11, 2011, includes an updated picture of Karic and was apparently signed off by a Canadian immigration official in Belgrade.

The document also states Karic left aboard an Air Canada flight from Calgary bound for Serbia in 2005 due to a “failed refugee claim” but does not list his current whereabouts.

The agency says it is investigating the validity of the document.

So far six people have been apprehended since the online list appeared last month.