A Red Deer man accused of drunk driving in a 2010 Canada Day crash that killed a 13-year-old boy may not have a trial until the spring of 2013.
Rodney Ross Arens, 34, pleaded not guilty to eight charges, including impaired driving causing death, in Red Deer Court of Queen’s Bench on Monday. Arens elected to be tried by a judge alone.
Chief Crown prosecutor Anders Quist said an eight-week trial is anticipated and has been scheduled for March 25 to May 17, 2013.
Lawyer Will Willms, who represented Arens at a preliminary hearing that wrapped up last month, said Arens is in the process of confirming him as his lawyer for the trial.
Arens will be back in court on Feb. 6 to confirm a trial date.
RCMP allege that Arens was behind the wheel of a heavy-duty pickup driving north on Taylor Drive about 10:55 p.m. on July 1, 2010, when he collided with a small southbound car that was turning left onto Kerry Wood Drive.
The truck hit the passenger side of the car, killing Anouluck “Jeffrey” Chanminaraj. Two other people in the car were injured.
Arens has been charged with impaired driving causing death, impaired driving causing bodily harm, dangerous driving causing death, dangerous driving causing bodily harm, three counts of refusing to provide a breath sample and one count of breach of release conditions.