Feds announce $60 million for Lac-Megantic disaster recovery

The federal government has announced a $60 million fund to help Lac-Megantic, Que., amid increasing pressure to make a specific aid commitment following a train disaster more than two weeks ago.

LAC-MEGANTIC, Que. — The federal government has announced a $60 million fund to help Lac-Megantic, Que., amid increasing pressure to make a specific aid commitment following a train disaster more than two weeks ago.

The announcement from local MP Christian Paradis, the international-development minister, came after the Harper government faced some criticism for having failed to provide any details beyond its promise to help the community.

The provincial government, for its part, had moved immediately with its own $60 million fund and provided emergency aid that saw stranded people swiftly receive $1,000 cheques.

As he announced an equal contribution from the federal government Monday, Paradis applauded the work from the province to provide immediate assistance.

From the new federal fund, $25 million will go to the provincial government and $35 million will go to long-term economic-recovery projects for the region.

Paradis reiterated that the federal government is committed to helping with recovery.

“The people of Megantic can count on the support of the federal government,” Paradis said.

“All Canadians feel shock and sadness over this tragedy.”

Paradis holds a close connection to the July 6 disaster.

The local MP happened to be having lunch at a pub just hours before it became the epicentre of the blast.

Many of the suspected 47 victims of the derailment were at the Musi-Cafe bar, whose patrons have described seeing a wall of fire engulf the area near the tracks.

Forty-two bodies have been found, although no new bodies have been recovered since the weekend.

“Sadly, we have not found any more victims in the rubble,” said provincial police Inspt. Michel Forget.

“I can tell you that police are animated by a very strong desire to find them.”

Twenty-eight of the victims’ bodies have been identified.

Crews have gotten better access to the immediate crash area with the help of a crane that lifted two train wagons. Black boxes from the locomotives have been sent to the United States for analysis, Forget said Monday.

On Tuesday, the House of Commons’ Standing Committee on Transport, Infrastructure and Communities will reconvene for an emergency meeting in Ottawa.

The Opposition NDP had pushed for MPs to meet to discuss regulatory recommendations that had been made over the years.

Last week, the federal Transportation Safety Board requested two immediate changes for train travel, despite its investigation into the Lac-Megantic tragedy still only being in its early stages.

The agency sent Transport Canada two safety advisories asking for a pair of changes — the first being that dangerous goods should not be left unattended on a main track, and also that rail equipment be properly secured.

Fifty non-government organizations from across the country have also issued a call for changes, and are distributing an online petition.

They want a ban on shipping oil in older DOT-111A tanker cars; an end to one-person train crews; and a sweeping review, with public hearings, of all oil-transportation methods, including pipelines.

Just Posted

Red Deer city council aims to force larger non-profits to become more accountable

New bylaw defines which not-for-profits must pay for a business licence

Red Deer city council will seek public input on portable signage March 4

Council gave initial approval to retaining 100-metre separation distance

Smaller, more affordable, lots wanted in Red Deer’s Evergreen neighbourhood

Council approves first reading of requested lot-size changes

RDC’s new name to be unveiled in February

The next big milestone for Red Deer College is a new name,… Continue reading

Lacombe considering licensing cats

Council is expected to take a look at cat potential licensing regulations next month

2-for-1: Total lunar eclipse comes with supermoon bonus

On Sunday night, the moon, Earth and sun lined up to create the eclipse, which was visible throughout North and South America

Opinion: Faith in immigration must be preserved

Canada has a deserved reputation for extending its arms to newcomers, but… Continue reading

Olympian Adam van Koeverden wins federal Liberal nomination in Ontario riding

MILTON, Ont. — Former Olympic flag-bearer Adam van Koeverden will be carrying… Continue reading

World champion Osmond says it’s “really nice” not to know what future holds

SAINT JOHN, N.B. — Kaetlyn Osmond has a world title, Olympic medals… Continue reading

World economy forecast to slow in 2019 amid trade tensions

For Canada, the IMF’s estimate for growth in 2019 was 1.9 per cent, down from expected global growth of 3.5 per cent

Timberlake pops in on patients at Texas children’s hospital

DALLAS — Justin Timberlake has pulled some sunshine from his pocket for… Continue reading

UK police speak to Prince Philip about not wearing seatbelt

LONDON — British police have spoken with Prince Philip after the husband… Continue reading

‘Gotti’ leads Razzie nominations, Trump up for worst actor

The nominations were announced on Monday, Jan. 21 with some movies earning up to six nominations

Curtain rising Sunday night on total lunar eclipse

CAPE CANAVERAL, Fla. — The celestial curtain will be rising soon on… Continue reading

Most Read