It was a good weekend for RDC Kings outside hitter Tim Finnigan at the annual Ramada Inns Challenge Cup volleyball tournament at RDC.
Finnigan played a key role in the Kings second-place finish behind the RDC Alumni A team that included National team players Brock Davidiuk and Nicholas Cundy.
As a result Finnigan was named both the Boston Pizza RDC and Alberta Colleges Athletic Conference male athlete of the week.
The Red Deer native, who is in his first season at RDC after two years at SAIT, had 67 kills, six blocks, 26 digs and six aces in five matches.
• RDC will host the Ramada Inns Royalty Classic basketball tournament this week.
The men’s side of the tournament begins Wednesday when the Kings face Canadian University College of Lacombe at 8:30 p.m.
On Thursday, CUC meets Olds College at 4 p.m. and the Kings take on Lethbridge at 8 p.m. while on Friday, Lethbridge and CUC hook up at 2 p.m. and RDC clashes with Olds at 8 p.m. Olds and Lethbridge meet Saturday at 2 p.m.
The Queens are playing two games as they face St. Mary’s College of Calgary at 6 p.m. Friday and Ambrose College of Calgary at noon Saturday.
• The volleyball Kings wrap up their preseason Thursday when they clash with Briercrest Bible College at 8 p.m. at Prairie Christian Academy in Three Hills.
• The hockey Queens have two exhibition games on the menu this week as they conclude preseason play before opening their league Oct. 18 at home against Grant MacEwan.
The Queens host the Edge Hockey Academy of Calgary Thursday at 7 p.m. at the Arena and travel to Calgary Sunday to meet Team Alberta of the Canada West Hockey League at 12:15 p.m. at the WinSport Arena.
Team Alberta is made up of several former Olympic, CIS and NCAA players.
• The RDC soccer teams return to action this weekend after a week off and hit the road for a pair of important matches.
They face SAIT Saturday and Olds Sunday.
The Queens need to win both to set up a first-place clash with Medicine Hat, Oct. 20 at RDC. A pair of wins for the Kings would go a long way in their goal to finish second in the ACAC’s South Division,
• The RDC cross-country team will compete in Grand Prix 5 Saturday at NAIT.