Fire causes $100,000 damage to Red Deer business

A Red Deer window business was heavily damaged by smoke and soot after a fire broke out early Thursday morning.

A Red Deer window business was heavily damaged by smoke and soot after a fire broke out early Thursday morning.

Just after midnight, Red Deer Emergency Services received a call reporting a fire at Window Masters Inc. Window and Door Replacement located at Bay 160, 6040 47 Ave.

An alarm company notified the building owner who then called 911.

Fire-medics arrived to find heavy smoke coming from the overhead door. The fire was put out shortly after crews arrived. The fire is suspected to be accidental with damage estimated at more than $100,000.

Fire prevention officer Wes Van Bavel said about $5,000 of that involved damage from flames.

The rest of the damage was due to smoke and soot.

“The security alarm went off and notified the owner, which really saved his business,” said Van Bavel. “If it wasn’t for the alarm system, we might have lost more than one business down there by the time somebody would have noticed.”

Van Bavel said the suspected cause is believed to have been flammable products that were used within the business.

“It was like a solvent based primer or sealer and they were using sponges to wipe down some wood and so some staining,” said Van Bavel. “They put these rags and sponges in a plastic garbage can.”

The paint on those rags is releasing energy and once it gets hot enough internally, a fire erupts. Staff left at about 9 p.m. and about three hours later, the blaze occurred, which is about the right time for this process to occur, Van Bavel said.

It’s spontaneous combustion, he said.

Van Bavel said he can think of a number of similar incidents at businesses, even schools, where this has occurred.

“The energy generated in those piles of rags is greater than the energy lost from those piles,” he said.

The building can be restored, Van Bavel said.

“The drywall saved his business too. Where the fire originated underneath the stairs, the drywall held that fire back,” Van Bavel said.

ltester@bprda.wpengine.com

Just Posted

Crown may seek dangerous offender status for 2015 Christmas Day stabber

Psychiatric assessment being done of man sentenced In November 2017 to seven years for manslaughter

128 Flags of Remembrance now flying in Sylvan Lake until Nov. 12

Centennial Park boasts 128 Canadian flags to honour 128,000 Canadians killed and missing in action.

Fall Food Drive set for Saturday in Red Deer

Organized by the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints

Red Deer is counting down to CFR 45

Jointly hosted by Red Deer & District Chamber of Commerce and Westerner Park

Mirror fire department still short volunteers

Fire department will close if volunteers can’t be found

Live bear cam: Let the fishing begin

Watch bears in Alaska’s Katmai National Park catch their dinner live.

Washington wants Canada to improve spill plan for U.S. spur of Trans Mountain

OLYMPIA, Wash. — Washington’s Department of Ecology wants the Canadian government to… Continue reading

National Transportation Safety Board to determine cause of Air Canada close call

Video captured the moment that an Air Canada jet flew off course… Continue reading

Edmonton public schools to review its ‘books to weed out’ list due to concerns

Edmonton Public Schools says it’s taking down its book review site after… Continue reading

Former U.S. ambassador steps up calls to get Americans to vote ahead of midterms

OTTAWA — A former U.S. ambassador to Canada is taking the battle… Continue reading

Canada aiming for the moon, and beyond, with new space technology efforts

OTTAWA — With an eye on future lunar exploration, Canada’s space agency… Continue reading

Flyers new mascot ‘Gritty’ a bearded, googly-eyed terror

PHILADELPHIA — The Philadelphia Flyers unveiled their new mascot Monday, and as… Continue reading

Tiger Woods winning adds to Ryder Cup buzz

SAINT-QUENTIN-EN-YVELINES, France — Already the most intense competition in golf, the Ryder… Continue reading

Most Read