Ford apology comes up short

TORONTO — Rob Ford’s apology Tuesday for his televised comments about Daniel Dale failed to satisfy the Toronto Star reporter, who said he is going ahead with a defamation lawsuit against the Toronto mayor.

TORONTO — Rob Ford’s apology Tuesday for his televised comments about Daniel Dale failed to satisfy the Toronto Star reporter, who said he is going ahead with a defamation lawsuit against the Toronto mayor.

Ford read a statement in council saying he didn’t intend to suggest Dale is a pedophile during a televised interview with Conrad Black.

“I never called Mr. Dale a pedophile,” Ford said. “I have never used that word to describe Mr. Dale. I do not believe Mr. Dale is a pedophile nor did I intend to suggest that in my comments.”

Ford said he apologizes if his “actual words” have caused Dale any harm or personal offence. The mayor called it “unfortunate” that a word he never said has been “ascribed” to him by the media.

Those remarks come a week after Ford initially said he stood by every word of the interview.

Dale served Ford last week with a libel notice, demanding the mayor retract all of his false claims about what happened during an incident near Ford’s house in May 2012 and issue an “unreserved, abject, complete apology.”

Hours after Ford read his statement, Dale issued one of his own on Twitter, saying Ford’s apology didn’t even come close to what he sought.

“In his ’apology,’ the mayor didn’t retract anything at all,” Dale wrote. “Instead, he blamed the media for its reasonable interpretation of his words.”

During the interview with Black, which aired Dec. 9 on VisionTV, Ford claimed that Dale was in his backyard, “taking pictures of little kids.”

“I don’t want to say that word, but you start thinking what this guy is all about,” Ford said.

Ford did not retract or apologize for the “categorically false, malicious, and in-itself-defamatory claim about me taking pictures of his young kids,” Dale wrote Tuesday.

“I didn’t ask for an ‘I apologize if,’ I asked for an ’I apologize because I said false, damaging, and unfounded things, and here they are,”’ Dale wrote.

“So: while I appreciate the mayor’s first step, no dad or teacher would accept that apology as sufficient. I would appreciate another try.”

Dale has said he was writing a story about a plot of public land adjacent to Ford’s house that the mayor wanted to buy, so he went to take a look when the mayor emerged from his home to confront him. The reporter has said that at no time was he on the mayor’s property nor did he take any pictures.

In relating the incident, Ford has often said Dale was in his backyard taking pictures.

On Tuesday, Ford said he never personally saw Dale peering over his fence or taking pictures, just that his neighbour told him he had seen someone doing that.

“Mr. Dale apparently denies that,” Ford said. “At that moment, I honestly believed, I honestly believed my neighbour’s account of the events. I had no idea at the time who the person was my neighbour told me who was leering over my fence.”

Just Posted

WATCH: Sunnybrook Farm Museum in Red Deer welcomes spring

Sunnybrook Farm Museum is celebrating spring in Red Deer. On Saturday, the… Continue reading

Red Deer woman one of three arrested by Sundre RCMP

The 19-year-old had numerous arrest warrants out of various jurisdictions

Businessman and volunteer named 2019 Citizen of the Year

John Donald’s parents and sister were each honoured previously

School leader named Red Deer Young Citizen of the Year

Leading by example at Hunting Hills High School

Suspects shot at pursuing police during crime spree

No police officers were injured in May 17 shooting

B.C.’s fight to regulate bitumen through pipelines to go to Canada’s top court

BC Appeal Court judges found B.C. cannot restrict bitumen flow along Trans Mountain pipeline

Cast your votes for the Best of Red Deer

Nominations for the Best of Red Deer Readers’ Choice Awards are officially… Continue reading

Police hunt suspect after explosion in French city of Lyon

LYON, France — French police on Saturday hunted a suspect believed to… Continue reading

No winning ticket for Friday night’s $32 million Lotto Max jackpot

TORONTO — There was no winning ticket for the $32 million jackpot… Continue reading

Girl, 13, charged in two alleged assaults in Saskatoon park

SASKATOON — Police in Saskatoon say they have charged a 13-year-old girl… Continue reading

New poll suggests one-third don’t want politicians to wear religious symbols

OTTAWA — While most Canadians firmly back the Charter of Rights and… Continue reading

Premier Legault to force the Caisse to purchase REM trains made in Quebec

MONTREAL — Premier Francois Legault says his government will force the Caisse… Continue reading

Security forces mistakenly kill 6 civilians in Afghanistan

KABUL — An Afghan security forces raid against Taliban fighters in eastern… Continue reading

After half-century of frustration, Blues can exorcise demons

ST. LOUIS — Stanley Jackson and buddy Steven Crow can be excused… Continue reading

Most Read