A group from Lacombe is undeterred by this week’s tragic events in Belgium and will go ahead with a tour of historic battlefields in that country as well as Holland and France.
Tour host Corvin Uhrbach said 32 adults will depart on Friday and return on April 3.
Uhrbach, who is a Grade 12 Social Studies teacher at Lacombe Composite High School, took 45 students on the same tour last year. He taught them a battlefields history option.
After those students made a presentation to the Lacombe Legion, the Legion asked him if he would organize a tour for interested adults.
The trip filled up and there were 15 people on the waiting list. About half who are going are Legion members, said Uhrbach, adding they are not Second World War veterans, but some are more recent military veterans.
Uhrbach said that despite the terrorist attacks in Brussels on Tuesday that claimed the lives of 34 people and wounded many others, only one of the tour members contacted him. And that was to make sure the tour was still going ahead.
After he learned of the attack in Brussels, he thought he would have a barrage of phone calls from people wanting to cancel.
Uhrbach said that they had only planned to be in Belgium for a short time — parts of two days — and if they need to they can make adjustments and not go to Belgium.
They will be working their way from Amsterdam to Paris, and will spend time at Vimy, and a number of Canadian battlefields.