A historic marker will be erected recognizing the former hamlet of Stockholm in Red Deer County.
Council approved spending $500 to help with the project to set up the 60-cm-by-1.5-metre marker at the Burnt Lake Community Hall off Secondary Hwy 596, a few km west of Red Deer.
The marker recognizes the historic community of the Stockholm townsite, which was created in 1903 after the area attracted many Scandinavian immigrants.
Eventually, it boasted a cheese factory, store, post office, telephone toll station, school stopping house, blacksmith shop, three churches and a number of houses.
When the Alberta Central Railway bypassed the community it went into decline and the school closed in 1959 and became a community centre.