TABER — A southern Alberta man faces a trial in June over a hatchet attack on a home intruder.
Joseph Bradley Singleton, 46, was charged with assault and assault with a weapon after he and his wife returned to their Taber-area home last May to find it had been broken into.
Singleton allegedly took after the intruder with the blunt end of a hatchet.
Defence lawyer Douglas Carle says Singleton was simply protecting his property and his wife.
“It has been controversial and quite frankly we’re still perplexed and surprised that we are forced to go to trial, especially a three-day trial,” Carle said outside court Tuesday.
The complainant pleaded guilty in January to break and enter and was given an 18-month conditional sentence followed by probation.
Singleton’s trial is set for June 8-10 in Taber provincial court.
Carle said it will come down to who is more believable.
“Do you believe the word of a now often-convicted criminal who was caught red-handed in the commission of the offence, or do you believe an innocent homeowner who has never been in trouble?” he said.
“It really just comes down to the fact that the Crown for some reason has decided to believe the word of this criminal and not Mr. Singleton.”
Carle said the charges have been difficult for his client.
“To an innocent person who has never been involved — ever — in the criminal law process to have to go through this is really quite disturbing to all involved.” (CJOC)