Two homes were destroyed and two others were damaged during a series of grass fires at the Samson Townsite near Hobbema on Tuesday afternoon.
A number of people were evacuated from the area as the fires advanced and there were no reports of anyone injured, said Const. Perry Cardinal, media liaison for the Hobbema RCMP. Fires appear to have spread from a nearby waste disposal station.
Conditions were dry at the time and residents were cautioned as a result to refrain from burning grass and be careful when disposing of cigarettes.