Iraq energy auction gets muted interest

BAGHDAD — Iraq’s fourth postwar energy auction drew a cool response from foreign energy companies Wednesday, dealing a setback to the country’s hopes to dig out from years of conflict and sanctions and develop its vast untapped hydrocarbon reserves.

BAGHDAD — Iraq’s fourth postwar energy auction drew a cool response from foreign energy companies Wednesday, dealing a setback to the country’s hopes to dig out from years of conflict and sanctions and develop its vast untapped hydrocarbon reserves.

On the first day of sales, four proposed oil and natural gas exploration deals found no bidders and a fifth was withdrawn after a British-led group refused to accept the Iraqi government’s price. Only a Kuwaiti-led energy consortium made a successful bid.

The bidding will continue Thursday for other six blocks.

Seven of the 12 areas are believed to hold natural gas, and the rest both natural gas and oil. Boosting natural gas production is seen as key to ending a crippling electricity shortage and rebuilding the country, particularly the industrial sector.

In the current auction, conditions appeared less attractive for foreign firms than in three previous rounds held since 2009.

Only areas with undetermined hydrocarbon resources were on offer, while previously the rights to known large and medium oil and gas fields were being auctioned off. All along, Iraq has offered only service contracts in which companies are paid a flat fee, rather than deals in which they receive a share of the hydrocarbons found.

In the past, companies were willing to accept those terms because they were bidding for fields that were ready to produce or where hydrocarbons had been discovered, said Ruba Husari, an Iraqi oil analyst.

In the current round, companies were being asked to take a bigger gamble. “No one is going to take a risk and put money that he’s not going to get back immediately for something that is not even definite they would find,” Husari said.

More than a year in the making, the current licensing round was touted by Oil Minister Abdul-Karim Elaibi as a key step to boosting Iraq’s energy sector. In his opening remarks Wednesday, Elaibi tried to lure bidders with a promise that his ministry will “spare no efforts to help and support the companies as partners to achieve the common interests.”

But out of 39 companies registered for the auction, only six teamed up in two groups to submit bids.

The only successful bid was made by Kuwait Energy and its partners, Turkey’s TPAO and the UAE’s Dragon Oil. The group won the rights to explore a 900-square-kilometre (350-square-mile) area in oil-rich southern Basra province. It will be paid $6.24 for each barrel of oil equivalent it finds.

An unsuccessful bid was made for oil exploration in an 8,000-square-kilometre (3,100-square-mile) area in the southern Muthana and Najaf provinces. A consortium led by UK’s Premier sought $9.85 for each barrel of oil equivalent, but the government offered to pay only $5 per barrel and withdrew the lot. The consortium also included Vietnam’s PetroVietnam and Russia’s Bashneft.

Four other blocks attracted no bidders.

Two of those lots, believed to contain natural gas, will be offered again on Thursday, said Abdul-Mahdi al-Ameedi, who heads the Oil Ministry’s Licensing and Petroleum Contracts department. Interested companies couldn’t make it to Baghdad, he said, but he did not name them.

The oil minister said that if Thursday’s auction also attracts little interest, Iraqi companies would explore those lots, ruling out the possibility that contract terms would be revised.

In this sales round, the government also introduced a clause to ban companies from signing deals with regional authorities without the approval of the central government in Baghdad. Companies that violate the clause will lose their contracts, said Sabah al-Saidi, a senior Oil Ministry official.

The new clause came in response to Exxon Mobil’s bold move last year to sign six deals with Iraq’s northern self-ruled Kurdish region without Baghdad’s approval. In return, Baghdad banned the Texas-based company from taking part in the current bidding, while maintaining a deal to develop the 8.6-billion-barrel West Qurna Phase One oil field in the south.

Top among the approved companies for this bidding round were the Anglo-Dutch Royal Dutch Shell, UK’s BP, Chevron and Occidental of the U.S., China’s CNOOC and CNPC, Japan’s Japex, Russia’s Lukoil and others.

Since 2008, Iraq has awarded 15 oil and gas deals to international energy companies, the first major investments in the country’s energy industry in more than three decades.

The goal was to boost daily production from about 3 million barrels now to 12 million barrels by 2017. But Iraq is mulling whether the target should be revised downward to fewer than 10 million barrels, considering a possible drop in demand on oil in the international market and infrastructure bottlenecks.

Get local stories you won't find anywhere else right to your inbox.
Sign up here

Just Posted

A health-care worker prepares a dose of the Pfizer-BioNTech COVID-19 vaccine at a clinic in Toronto on Thursday, January 7, 2021. THE CANADIAN PRESS/Nathan Denette
Alberta vaccine rollout expanding to front-line health-care workers

More than 240,000 eligible health-care workers can begin booking vaccine appointments starting… Continue reading

File photo
The Red Deer Rebels will have three new assistant coaches when the WHL regular season starts on Friday. Brad Flynn (left), will be on the bench alongside fellow assistant Ryan Colville (right) head coach Brent Sutter (middle). (Photo by BYRON HACKETT/Advocate Staff)
Sutter steps down as Red Deer Rebels head coach

Red Deer Rebels Owner, GM and head coach Brent Sutter has stepped… Continue reading

Premier Jason Kenney announced $200 million more money that will benefit seniors living in continuing care on Wednesday. (photography by Chris Schwarz/Government of Alberta)
Alberta’s in-school rapid screening test program expanding

Alberta’s in-school rapid screening test program will expand to as many as… Continue reading

Parents and students learned Tuesday what the coming school year will look like. It's pretty much back to business as usual, said Education Minister Adriana LaGrange. School precautions include frequent cleaning, keeping students in the same groups where possible, planning the school day to allow for physical distancing and staying home when sick. (photography by Chris Schwarz/Government of Alberta)
Alberta’s largest school board says no to United Conservative draft school curriculum

CALGARY — Alberta’s largest school board says it will not use the… Continue reading

Red Deer-South MLA Jason Stephan is among those who have signed an open letter criticizing the government’s return to stricter health measures. (Advocate file photo).
Updated: Kenney tells UCP caucus COVID-19 dissent OK, breaking health rules means expulsion

15 MLAs released letter on Wednesday critical of new health restrictions

Prime Minister Justin Trudeau watches a speaker appear by videoconference during a news conference in Ottawa, Friday, April 9, 2021. Grassroots Liberals have overwhelmingly endorsed a resolution calling on the federal government to develop and implement a universal basic income — despite Prime Minister Justin Trudeau's apparent lack of enthusiasm for the idea. THE CANADIAN PRESS/Adrian Wyld
Trudeau winds up Liberal convention with election campaign-style speech

OTTAWA — Justin Trudeau wound up a three-day Liberal convention Saturday with… Continue reading

Team Canada skip Brendan Bottcher makes a shot against Italy at the Men's World Curling Championships in Calgary, Alta., Tuesday, April 6, 2021.THE CANADIAN PRESS/Jeff McIntosh
Men’s world curling championship in Calgary in COVID limbo

CALGARY — The men’s world curling championship in Calgary remained suspended Saturday… Continue reading

Pipes intended for construction of the Keystone XL pipeline are shown in Gascoyne, N.D. on Wednesday April 22, 2015. THE CANADIAN PRESS/Alex Panetta
Non-profit Quebec law centre to aid environmental group targeted by Alberta oil firm

QUEBEC — The Quebec Environmental Law Centre is coming to the aid… Continue reading

Conservative leader Erin O'Toole holds a press conference on Parliament Hill in Ottawa on Tuesday, April 6, 2020. Top Tory leaders of past and present will speak with supporters today about what a conservative economic recovery from COVID-19 could look like. THE CANADIAN PRESS/Sean Kilpatrick
Conservatives cite empathy, relationships as ways to help expand their movement

OTTAWA — Conservatives should show empathy with Black residents who say they’ve… Continue reading

NDP Leader John Horgan celebrates his election win in the British Columbia provincial election in downtown Vancouver, B.C., Saturday, Oct. 24, 2020. New Democrats are reconvening for the second day of a three-day policy convention as they look to push past the glitches of the virtual event's opening sessions and rally around keynote speaker John Horgan. THE CANADIAN PRESS/Jonathan Hayward
New Democrats reconvene as hiccups, frustrations plague national policy convention

OTTAWA — New Democrats reconvened Saturday for the second day of a… Continue reading

FILE - In this Monday, Oct. 23, 2017 file photo, President Donald Trump speaks during a joint statement with Singapore's Prime Minister Lee Hsien Loong in the Rose Garden of the White House in Washington. Former President Donald Trump plans to affirm his commitment to the Republican Party — and raise the possibility that someone else will be the GOP's next presidential nominee — in a closed-door speech to donors Saturday night, April 10, 2021. (AP Photo/Evan Vucci, File)
Trump in 2024? He says only that ‘a Republican’ will win

PALM BEACH, Fla. — Former President Donald Trump plans to affirm his… Continue reading

A cruise ship sits docked waiting for passengers to be evacuated in Kingstown, on the eastern Caribbean island of St. Vincent, Friday, April 9, 2021 due to the eruption of La Soufriere volcano. (AP Photo/Orvil Samuel)
Ash-covered St. Vincent braces for more volcanic eruptions

KINGSTOWN, St. Vincent — People who ignored an initial warning to evacuate… Continue reading

Owner of 4 Point Taekwondo Kevin Mejia holds a board as organizer and martial artist Kevin Olsen breaks it in Edmonton on Friday, April 9, 2021. One hundred martial artists from around the world, will be breaking a board for an event called "Break for a Breakthrough." The idea is for martial artists to unite and re-engage with the arts because they may have drifted away or lost enthusiasm as a result of the pandemic. THE CANADIAN PRESS/Jason Franson
Break for a Breakthrough: Canadian hosts international martial arts demonstration

EDMONTON — Whether he’s breaking a wooden board, a clay tile, cement… Continue reading

Most Read