The City of Lacombe has adopted a plan to provide a long-term vision for the community.
Imagine Lacombe will be used to guide future decisions to ensure the community remains economically, environmentally, socially and culturally sustainable.
Having a plan also makes Lacombe eligible to apply for various grants and other funding designed to support sustainability initiatives.
The plan was formerly adopted by council earlier this week.
Mayor Steve Christie said while it took a while for local residents to fully grasp the intent of the plan, eventually more than 1,200 provided input through the consultation process.
The plan lines up with other plans such as the city’s strategic plan and downtown redevelopment plan.
“The sustainability plans gives you a reference when you’re making decisions,” he said in a recent interview.
Five goals are outlined in the plan:
• Build a strong, local and diverse economy
• Preserve and enhance heritage and culture
• Promote a healthy, connected and active community
• Protect our natural environment
• Provide high quality services and infrastructure