Liberals vow to fight Bill 50

The Alberta Liberals will launch a power play to try to ice a government plan to spend billions upgrading electrical lines in the province without public hearings.

EDMONTON — The Alberta Liberals will launch a power play to try to ice a government plan to spend billions upgrading electrical lines in the province without public hearings.

Liberal Leader David Swann says the administration of Premier Ed Stelmach “must not be allowed to bulldoze opposition to their plans.”

He says his part will launch their fight when the legislature resumes sitting Oct. 26.

Controversy is dogging provincial plans to pass Bill 50 that would jump-start an ambitious project to spend up to $20 billion building four major power lines in Alberta.

But the Liberals say the province must hold public hearings because consumers, not power companies, will pay the entire upgrade tab.

Critics say it could double or triple the cost of a monthly bill while Tories say it will add a mere $8 a month to a residential bill.

Commercial users will pay 85 per cent of the upgrading project, while residents pay the other 15 per cent, the province has indicated.

Liberal finance critic Hugh MacDonald said it’s the latest in an ongoing gouge of power consumers in Alberta.

“Prior to deregulation (in the mid-1990s) Albertans had some of the lowest-priced electricity in North America to now we’re among the highest rates,” said MacDonald.

Energy ministry spokesman Jerry Bellikka said the public has already been extensively consulted when a so-called needs hearing was held in 2003 about the four new lines.

“As well, this summer we had open houses on the issue in 21 different communities in Alberta,” Bellikka said.

Just Posted

Red Deerian spreads kindness with one card at a time

One Red Deerian wants to combat bullying by spreading kindness in the… Continue reading

Bowden baby in need of surgery

“Help for Alexis” Go Fund Me account

PHOTO: First Rider bus safety in Red Deer

Central Alberta students learned bus safety in the Notre Dame High School… Continue reading

Red Deer dancer attends national summer school

Dancers with others from across Canada and beyond

WATCH: Annual Family Picnic at Central Spray and Play

Blue Grass Sod Farms Ltd. held the Annual Family Picnic at the… Continue reading

Woman has finger ripped off at West Edmonton Mall waterslide

SASKATOON — A Saskatchewan woman says she lost a finger after her… Continue reading

Uncertainty looms over Canada’s cannabis tourism, but ambitions are high

TORONTO — Longtime marijuana advocate Neev Tapiero is ready for the cannabis-driven… Continue reading

Feds mulling safeguards to prevent ‘surge’ of cheap steel imports into Canada

OTTAWA — The federal government extended an olive branch of sorts to… Continue reading

Ontario govt caps off summer session by passing bill to cut Toronto council size

TORONTO — The Ontario government passed a controversial bill to slash the… Continue reading

Updated:Italian bridge collapse sends cars plunging, killing 26

MILAN — A 51-year-old highway bridge in the Italian port city of… Continue reading

Saudi Arabia spat affecting Canadians embarking on hajj, community members say

TORONTO — Members of Canada’s Muslim community say recent tensions between Ottawa… Continue reading

Tug carrying up to 22,000 litres of fuel capsizes in Fraser River off Vancouver

VANCOUVER — The smell of diesel filled the air as crews worked… Continue reading

Nebraska executes first inmate using fentanyl

LINCOLN, Neb. — Nebraska carried out its first execution in more than… Continue reading

Most Read


Five-day delivery plus unlimited digital access for $185 for 260 issues (must live in delivery area to qualify) Unlimited Digital Access 99 cents for the first four weeks and then only $15 per month Five-day delivery plus unlimited digital access for $15 a month