Larry Dick in his apartment

Local man warns of dumpster diving

A Red Deer man who says he almost died from fungus in his lungs is warning dumpster divers to be careful. Larry Dick, 60, said he was fine when he went to bed at 11 p.m. on April 22, but awoke at 2 a.m. and couldn’t breathe. He grabbed his cellphone and called 911.

A Red Deer man who says he almost died from fungus in his lungs is warning dumpster divers to be careful.

Larry Dick, 60, said he was fine when he went to bed at 11 p.m. on April 22, but awoke at 2 a.m. and couldn’t breathe.

He grabbed his cellphone and called 911.

“Thank God for cellphones. I was on life-support for 12 days,” Dick said.

Dick said he was in intensive care unit at Red Deer Regional Hospital Centre for several days recovering from hypersensitivity pneumonitis, which is inflammation of the lungs due to breathing in a foreign substance, usually dust, fungus or mold.

He said because he was so sick, his daughter in Saskatchewan was notified. Staff called her twice while she was driving to Red Deer saying if she wanted to say her goodbyes she’d better get to the hospital quickly.

He can’t recall his family visiting or anything that happened until his 22nd day in ICU.

Dick said his lungs are now scarred and will likely be on oxygen for the rest of his life.

He was released from hospital last Thursday.

Heather Kipling, spokesperson with Alberta Health Services in Red Deer, said public health does not track the illness.

Dr. Margaret Kelly, a pathologist at Calgary Lab Services, is doing research on hypersensitivity pneumonitis and why some people go on to get lung fibrosis (scarring) and others don’t.

“I haven’t heard dumpster diving as a cause of hypersensitivity pneumonitis, but definitely you can be stirring up all sorts of nasty things and then breath them in and get infections. It probably is a hazard for getting a lung infection,” Kelly said.

“(Hypersensitivity pneumonitis) is something you get with repeated exposure. So unless it’s the same moulds he’s been exposed to, it’s unlikely.”

Hypersensitivity pneumonitis is a reaction to a person’s environment, for example at their job or home, she said.

“It can actually be very quiet and silent, and you can be exposed to things but you don’t feel ill. A low-grade exposure going on, a low-grade inflammation, and that goes on to fibrosis.”

Kelly said the condition is often misdiagnosed and the medical community doesn’t have a good handle on how many people are affected. But farmers have a 20 times higher incidence from breathing in bacterium spores that can grow in warm hay.

The day he got sick, Dick was at a friend’s farm where he regularly helps out. But he suspects he breathed in the fungus while going into dumpsters for bottles and cans for a few weeks prior to his emergency trip to the hospital.

“It wasn’t the barn. I’d been in there hundreds of times. I’m darn sure it’s from diving in the dumpster, because you never know what goes in one of them,” said Dick, a former welder who previously had pneumonia four times.

He said people searching through dumpsters — and there’s a lot of them — should beware.

He also wanted to thank the ICU staff.

“They are awesome. I can’t say enough about them.

“Whenever there is a problem in a hospital, everyone in the world knows it. But if anything good happens, nobody hears it.”

And Dick hoped that by telling his story he could help others.

“(Hospital staff) saved my life. I might be able to save somebody else’s.”

szielinski@bprda.wpengine.com

Just Posted

Spring book sale this weekend in Red Deer

Red Deerians can get lost in a world of inexpensive books this… Continue reading

Central Alberta wildlife rehab facility not prepared to take orphaned bear cubs, yet

It’s been about eight years since the Medicine River Wildlife Centre was… Continue reading

Regional sewage line moving ahead despite concerns

Cost sharing among concerns of municipalities involved in Sylvan Lake-to-Red Deer sewage line

Red Deer family who lost everything in house fire begin rebuilding

Couple had moved into north-end home only two days before basement fire

Tory Leader Andrew Scheer says he doesn’t feel betrayed by Maxime Bernier

MONTREAL — Andrew Scheer says he doesn’t feel betrayed by former Tory… Continue reading

WATCH: Fine wine and food at Red Deer College

The Red Deer College Alumni Association hosted its 14th annual Fine Wine… Continue reading

Boston’s Tuukka Rask, Riley Nash step up in Game 4 win over Leafs

Bruins 3 Maple Leafs 1 TORONTO — The Boston Bruins didn’t need… Continue reading

Supreme Court ruling corks B.C. vintners’ hopes for free trade of Canadian wines

VANCOUVER — The Supreme Court of Canada ruling upholding interprovincial trade laws… Continue reading

Lance Armstrong settles $100M lawsuit with U.S. government

Disgraced cyclist reached $5-million settlement with sponsor U.S. Postal Service

Montreal couple hoping city lets them keep beloved pet pig named Babe

MONTREAL — Babe the pig spends his days sleeping, going for walks… Continue reading

WATCH: This is a story about a stoned raccoon at a fire station

An unusual pair showed up in the pre-dawn hours at Fire Station… Continue reading

Plastic makers’ credit ratings may be hit by pollution rules

Plastic packaging makers may be less credit-worthy in the future as governments… Continue reading

Black Press Media acquires two new Alaska newspapers

New Media Investment Group to acquire the Akron (OH) Beacon Journal while Black Press Media takes on daily newspapers in Juneau and Kenai Alaska

‘Dining of the future’: vegan restaurant boom fuelled by meat eaters

Foodies say Canada is in the midst of a renaissance in plant-based… Continue reading

Most Read


Five-day delivery plus unlimited digital access for $185 for 260 issues (must live in delivery area to qualify) Unlimited Digital Access 99 cents for the first four weeks and then only $15 per month Five-day delivery plus unlimited digital access for $15 a month