Nakamoto again denies that he created bitcoin

LOS ANGELES — The man Newsweek claimed is the creator of bitcoin has hired a lawyer in an attempt to clear his name, repeating a denial he made to The Associated Press more than a week ago that he has never had anything to do with the digital currency.

LOS ANGELES — The man Newsweek claimed is the creator of bitcoin has hired a lawyer in an attempt to clear his name, repeating a denial he made to The Associated Press more than a week ago that he has never had anything to do with the digital currency.

In a statement issued by his lawyer, Ethan Kirschner, Dorian Satoshi Nakamoto said Monday that he “did not create, invent or otherwise work on” bitcoin.

In the magazine’s return to print this month after more than a year, Newsweek’s cover story declared Nakamoto to be the “face behind bitcoin.” Despite the repeated denials, the magazine has stood behind the story.

Nakamoto, 64, did not say whether he plans to sue the magazine.

Nakamoto repeated that he had not heard of bitcoin until his son told him a reporter asked about it in mid-February. He said he has not been able to find steady work for 10 years and had cancelled his Internet service last year “due to severe financial distress.”

Nakamoto added that he is trying to recover from prostate surgery in 2012 and a stroke he suffered last October.

“My prospects for gainful employment has been harmed because of Newsweek’s article,” he said in the statement. “Newsweek’s false report has been the source of a great deal of confusion and stress for myself, my 93-year-old mother, my siblings, and their families.”

Newsweek said in a statement that it “has not received any statement or letter from either Mr. Nakamoto or his legal counsel. If and when we do, we will respond as necessary.”

On March 6, the day Newsweek posted its story online, about a dozen journalists descended on the home where Nakamoto lives with his mother in Temple City, Calif. Nakamoto denied ever being involved with bitcoin multiple times, including during an exclusive two-hour interview with the AP in which he discussed his life, career, family and addressed the assertions in Newsweek’s piece.

The magazine developed its thesis on the creator’s identity by matching Nakamoto’s name, educational history, career, political views and writing style to the alleged creator of bitcoin, who has been known only as “Satoshi Nakamoto.” Many believe the name to be a pseudonym.

It’s not clear whether Nakamoto sought out legal counsel or was approached after the story and his denial reverberated around the globe. Kirschner’s website says he handles business and entertainment matters, and a listing on movie database IMDbPro indicates that the rapper KRS-One is a former client.

Kirschner graduated from law school at the University of Minnesota and became qualified to practice in California in 2005, according to the State Bar of California. His office is on a residential street in the hip Echo Park neighbourhood of Los Angeles.

Nakamoto said his statement will be his last public statement on the matter. Neither he nor his lawyer responded to requests for further comment.

In the days since the Newsweek story and Nakamoto’s denial made headlines, a barrage of criticism has been levelled at the magazine. Meanwhile, Nakamoto has been the target of charitable donations. Nearly 1,900 people have contributed bitcoins worth about $29,000 to an account created by bitcoin entrepreneur Andreas Antonopoulos.

Antonopoulos said on the website Reddit.com that it seems “increasingly unlikely” that Nakamoto was indeed the digital currency’s creator and that the fund was created to “soften the damage caused by irresponsible journalism.”

Antonopoulos said he plans to convert the bitcoins into U.S. dollars at the end of March and deliver them to Dorian Nakamoto or donate them to a charity of his choice.

Just Posted

Big-time entertainers to perform in Red Deer during the 2019 Canada Winter Games

Musicans announced include Strumbellas, k-os, Brett Kissel

Builders say it’s not the time for higher permit fees in Red Deer

Construction industry is hard hit by slow economy

Bighorn Country telephone town hall for Red Deer area set for Wednesday

Residents can phone in from 6:30-7:30 p.m. to hear about the project or ask questions

YouTube revises policy, bans dangerous prank videos

SAN BRUNO, Calif. — YouTube is trying to prevent otherwise bright people… Continue reading

WATCH:2019 Canada Winter Games torchbearers announced

Sixteen torchbearers announced with others to be revealed during Opening Ceremonies

Liberal candidate steps aside after singling out Jagmeet Singh’s race

Karen Wang says she made comments online that referenced Singh’s cultural background

Alberta doctor accused of sexual assault asked to voluntarily give up practice

College says Dr. Barry Wollach should discontinue his practice, given the seriousness of the allegation against him

Speedy acceptance of Saudi shows refugee system’s flaws

Who would not wish Rahaf Mohammed well? The 18-year-old Saudi wants to… Continue reading

Hertl’s hat trick leads Sharks past Penguins 5-2

SAN JOSE, Calif. — Tomas Hertl needed just three games to get… Continue reading

Starring role beckons for Canada’s Alphonso Davies at Bayern Munich

BERLIN — Canadian teenager Alphonso Davies could be thrown in at the… Continue reading

Bus singer gives voice to Venezuela’s growing diaspora

LIMA, Peru — A year ago, Venezuelan migrant Reymar Perdomo was singing… Continue reading

Corey Hart to be inducted into Canadian Music Hall of Fame at Juno Awards

TORONTO — Crooner Corey Hart will join Canadian music royalty in the… Continue reading

Lucic, Kassian each score twice to power Oilers in 7-2 win over Sabres

EDMONTON — Milan Lucic and Zack Kassian each scored a pair of… Continue reading

Most Read