CALGARY — A natural gas leak that affected about 250 homes in northwest Calgary has been shut down.
Stephen Nicholl, a spokesman for the City of Calgary, says residents of the area will be allowed to return home as soon as possible.
He says all the homes must first be checked to make sure there are no residual gas fumes.
The leak began Wednesday afternoon when a backhoe punctured a 15-centimetre gas line.
Nicholl says firefighters moved in and started an evacuation, but most people who live in the area were away at work at the time so only a dozen or so people were taken to a reception centre that had been set up.
However, as the day wore on and people started trying to go home from work, they were turned away at roadblocks in the area.
“ATCO is repairing the line now and we’re staying on scene while they do that and then we’re going to work with them to get everybody back into their homes,” said Nicholl.