No damage, injuries from small fire at hospital

No damage or injuries were reported from a small lint fire in the laundry department of Red Deer Regional Hospital Centre on Tuesday morning.

No damage or injuries were reported from a small lint fire in the laundry department of Red Deer Regional Hospital Centre on Tuesday morning.

Acting platoon chief Gary Engebretson of Red Deer Emergency Services said workers were doing some welding when lint on top an air handling system caught fire.

“By the time we got there it was mostly put out, (just) a couple of hot spots left,” said Engebretson about fire crews who were called at 11:13 a.m.

He said the area was evacuated safely and the fire was contained using fire extinguishers prior to firefighters arriving.

It was like a small flash fire on the air handling system, which was hard get to but didn’t spread, he said.

“It filled up the laundry area with a fair bit of smoke, which took a little while to get out of there.”