Police investigate teen’s death

CALGARY — Calgary police are investigating the death of a 17-year-old girl who had been reported missing.

CALGARY — Calgary police are investigating the death of a 17-year-old girl who had been reported missing.

The girl was found dead at a home Monday, several hours after EMS went to the home and removed a man on the stretcher.

Investigators are now speaking to friends and family of the dead teen to determine what happened.

No charges have been laid.

Neighbours have identified the teen as Brittney McInnes.

Police could not confirm the identity of the 17-year-old but did say an official report had been made about a young woman missing from the residence sometime prior to the discovery.

Neighbours say Brad Rietze, who works for a home renovations company, and his wife, Kelly, live there with three children — two girls in late teens and a young boy who is either in high school or recently graduated.

Brittany is said to be Rietze’s stepdaughter.

Vincent Garcia said they were good neighbours.

“The girls even shovelled my sidewalk and cut my grass in the summer,” he said Tuesday.

“I heard the oldest daughter was missing since Sunday morning.”

Tasha Walsh said her husband saw an ambulance show up at the house before 6 a.m. Monday.

She didn’t think much of it until later that day when she saw the male sibling who lives in the home.

“He was out in the middle of the street in jeans a T-shirt on his cellphone, pacing back and forth,” she said.

“I shouted out to see if everything was OK but he was in his own little world … five minutes later I could hear sirens.”

Soon police tape was put up and police were canvassing the neighbourhood.

Hours later, Rietze’s wife stopped by Walsh’s home, only raising more questions about what might have happened in the home still being guarded by police Tuesday.

“She popped by to use the washroom and said she was taking her son and daughter downtown to police,” she recalled.

“She seemed in shock and told me to ‘keep your doors locked.”’

Police would not confirm if there were any obvious signs of violence at the house.

While no one was in custody, as of Tuesday afternoon, Brookwell said police weren’t urgently seeking anyone to talk to in relation to the case.

“It’s very early in the investigation,” he said.

(Calgary Sun, CTV Calgary)