Premature infant deaths could easily be reduced

Worldwide, one in 11 babies is born too early, a proportion that rises to one in nine births in the United States.

Worldwide, one in 11 babies is born too early, a proportion that rises to one in nine births in the United States.

More than a million of the 15 million babies born too soon die shortly after birth and others face long-term medical problems tied to prematurity.

A new report from an international coalition of child health advocacy organizations suggests those grim numbers could be drastically reduced if just a few proven and inexpensive treatments and preventive measures were available around the globe.

While the underlying causes of and treatment for premature birth differ between less developed nations and high-income nations like the United States, there are some common solutions that can work across cultures.

“There are some interventions that benefit babies whether they’re in Africa, Asia or Silicon Valley, like Kangaroo mom care (swaddling an infant skin-to-skin at the mother’s chest to keep it warm),” said Christopher Howson, vice president for global programs at the March of Dimes Foundation and a co-editor of the report. “It’s a low-tech innovation that could save more than 450,000 babies a year in poor countries, but is readily adopted in a culture like ours.”

With more than 500,000 pre-term births a year, the United States ranks sixth out of 184 countries for total numbers, but 37th for pre-term deaths, due to the availability of effective but costly neonatal intensive care.

Although the causes of many pre-term births is uncertain, researchers say the chief drivers of the increase in wealthy nations seem to be an increasing number of older women having babies, more use of fertility drugs that result in multiple pregnancies and a rise in medically unnecessary labour induction and Caesarean deliveries before full-term.

The leading factors in poorer countries are maternal infections, high adolescent pregnancy rates and a lack of pre-natal medical care and nutrition, including drugs to delay premature labour. Having those steroids widely available could save 400,000 infants a year.

Even in the United States, some populations still have less access to medical care and higher teen birth rates that put them at higher risk for premature birth. The prematurity rate for black Americans was 17.5 per cent compared to 10.9 per cent for whites in 2009.

A full-term birth is 39 weeks of gestation. More than 80 per cent of all pre-term births occur between 32 and 37 weeks — late pre-term — and most babies in this group can survive with supportive care.

Those born between 28 and 32 weeks are considered “very pre-term” and most will survive if they get extra medical care. Any baby born earlier than 28 weeks is considered “extremely pre-term” and requires the most intensive hospital care to live.

The “extremely pre term” babies born in developed countries have a 90 per cent chance of survival, which drops to 10 per cent in low-income nations. But all of the earliest infants have a great risk for lifelong physical and neurological deficits.

The best way to protect infants is to find ways to ensure most pregnancies last 39 weeks. “We are now looking closely at what can be done before a woman gets pregnant to help her have an optimal outcome,” said Dr. Elizabeth Mason, a World Health Organization official who oversees newborn health and was a major contributor to the report.

Howson said culturally appropriate programs to educate women about healthy pregnancy are important to reaching high-risk groups.

“There are a lot of programs for women in prenatal care, but there’s not much being done toward helping women be healthy before they become pregnant,” he added. “Making that happen requires full health insurance coverage and good access to health care.”

More information: www.marchofdimes.com/research/prematurityresearch.html

Lee Bowman is a health and science writer for Scripps Howard News Service. Contact Bowman at BowmanL@shns.com

Get local stories you won't find anywhere else right to your inbox.
Sign up here

Just Posted

(Advocate file photo).
Red Deer’s downtown restaurants can apply for patio licences

It will allow for expanded seating capacity

Some workers at Sobeys in Rocky Mountain House have recently tested positive for COVID-19. (File photo)
Sobeys in Rocky Mountain House reports COVID-19 workers

10 positive tests since last Thursday

A woman walks through Toronto’s financial district on Monday, July 30, 2018. A new poll suggests most Canadians believe there’s still a long way to go to achieve gender equality in this country. THE CANADIAN PRESS/Graeme Roy
Canadians, especially women, say gender equality not achieved in Canada: Poll

63 per cent said equality between men and women has not been achieved

FILE - In this March 3, 2021, file photo, anti-coup protesters run as one of them discharges a fire extinguisher to counter the impact of tear gas fired by riot policemen in Yangon, Myanmar. The escalation of violence in Myanmar as authorities crack down on protests against the Feb. 1 coup is adding to pressure for more sanctions against the junta, as countries struggle over how to best confront military leaders inured to global condemnation. (AP Photo/File)
Escalating violence raises pressure for Myanmar sanctions

More shootings were reported over the weekend

A moth-killing drone hovers over crops in a green house in Monster, Netherlands, Thursday, Feb. 25, 2021. A Dutch startup is using drones to kill moths in midair as a way of protecting valuable crops in greenhouses that are damaged by caterpillars. PATS Indoor Drone Solutions emerged from the work of a group of students looking for ways to kill mosquitos in their dorm rooms. The drones themselves are very basic, but they are steered by smart technology and special cameras that scan the airspace in greenhouses. When the cameras detect a moth, a drone is set on a collision course with the bug, destroying the bug with its rotors. (AP Photo/Mike Corder)
Drones vs hungry moths: Dutch use hi-tech to protect crops

Drones instantly kill the moths by flying into them

Ben King scores for the Red Deer Rebels during the third period of a Western Hockey League game against the Calgary Hitmen at the Westerner Park Centrium Saturday. (Photo by Rob Wallator/Red Deer Rebels)
Rebels complete comeback to pick up first win of season

Rebels 3 Hitmen 2 (OT) The Red Deer Rebels were able to… Continue reading

Treena Mielke
Seasons changing: Hope around the corner with vaccines

The month of March is leaving its muddy footprint on the land… Continue reading

Hamilton Forge FC’s Giuliano Frano (8) heads the ball against CD Olimpia’s Jorge Benguche (9) during Scotiabank CONCACAF League 2019 second half soccer action in Hamilton, Ont., Thursday, Aug. 22, 2019. Forge FC owner Bob Young says the Canadian Premier League champions will be playing the Canadian Championship final against Toronto FC at a disadvantage. THE CANADIAN PRESS/Peter Power
Forge FC owner upset at Canada Soccer’s timing of Canadian Championship final

Winner of Canadian Championship final earns a berth in the Scotiabank CONCACAF Champions League

Team Wild Card Two skip Kevin Koe reacts to his shot as he plays Team Newfoundland and Labrador at the Brier in Calgary, Alta., on March 6, 2021. THE CANADIAN PRESS/Jeff McIntosh
Wild Card Two’s Koe beats Gushue 9-7 to hand defending champs first loss at the Brier

Gushue was a tad heavy with his final draw and Koe picked it out for the victory

(Photo by THE CANADIAN PRESS)
No regrets: Grammy-nominated DJ Jayda G on choosing beats over sciences career

TORONTO — House music producer Jayda G knows a thing or two… Continue reading

This image provided by Harpo Productions shows Prince Harry, left, and Meghan, Duchess of Sussex, speaking about expecting their second child during an interview with Oprah Winfrey. “Oprah with Meghan and Harry: A CBS Primetime Special” airs March 7 as a two-hour exclusive primetime special on the CBS Television Network. (Joe Pugliese/Harpo Productions via AP)
UK royals absorb shock of revealing Harry, Meghan interview

Anti-monarchy group Republic said the interview gave a clearer picture of what the royal family is like

Minister of National Defence Harjit Sajjan takes part in a year-end interview with The Canadian Press at National Defence Headquarters in Ottawa on December 17, 2020. THE CANADIAN PRESS/Sean Kilpatrick
Conservatives to call top Sajjan, Trudeau aides to testify on Vance allegations

OTTAWA — The federal Conservatives plan to summon two senior Liberal aides… Continue reading

Elvira D'Angelo, 92, waits to receive her COVID-19 vaccination shot at a clinic in Montreal, Sunday, March 7, 2021, as the COVID-19 pandemic continues in Canada and around the world. THE CANADIAN PRESS/Graham Hughes
‘It’s been a good week’: Tam hopeful on vaccines as pandemic anniversary nears

Several provinces were preparing to loosen COVID-19 restrictions on Sunday, as Canada’s… Continue reading

Mount Pearl Senior High in Mount Pearl, N.L., remains closed on Wednesday, March 3, 2021. The provincial health authority says there were 185 cases at 22 schools, including 145 infections among staff and students of one high school in Mount Pearl that was an early epicentre of the outbreak. THE CANADIAN PRESS/Paul Daly
In Newfoundland and Labrador, three ingredients made for explosive COVID-19 outbreak

ST. JOHN’S, N.L. — With her classes, three part-time jobs and a… Continue reading

Most Read