Propane heater to kill bedbugs starts $4.5 M fire in Edmonton apartment building

Fire officials say a propane heater being used to kill bedbugs started a fire that caused $4.5 million damage in an Edmonton apartment building.

EDMONTON — Fire officials say a propane heater being used to kill bedbugs started a fire that caused $4.5 million damage in an Edmonton apartment building.

Investigators say the propane heaters started combustible material on fire at the Royal Scot apartment complex last Tuesday.

Five people, including two children, were taken to hospital.

The building has 50 units and six were extensively damaged by the fire.

Red Cross was assisting residents who were left homeless.

More than 60 firefighters battled the blaze.

(CHED, The Canadian Press)