• Turkey Supper at Senior Citizens Downtown House will be held on May 13 at 5:30 p.m. Cost is $12 in advance. Call 403-346-4043.
• A Smackeral of Something Sweet, a spring tea celebration and fundraiser for Tree House Youth Theatre will be offered on May 14 from 2 to 4 p.m. at the Scott Block. Selected scenes from James and The Giant Peach and other recent Tree House productions will be shown. Raffle prizes, desserts and tea can be enjoyed for $40. Tickets at ticketcentraloutlet.ca of call 403-347-0800.
• National Garage Sale for Shelter will be held on May 14 at the local sponsor office — Royal LePage Network Realty Corp. at 3608 50 Ave. — from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. Monies raised will support women’s shelters and help to end violence against women and children. Enjoy the barbecue, coffee, bake sale, kids’ games, and more. Donations of gently used items welcome at the realty office. See www.royallepage.ca/shelter
• The Kids Help Phone gets help from Beaners Fun Cuts for Kids as they offer in-store hair clinics on May 15 from 1 to 5 p.m. For a donation to the Kids Help Phone, children and their parents can learn hair-do tips and tricks from the experts including braids, hot tools and more. Drop in to register or call 403-745-1578.
• Family Programs from The City of Red Deer offer Daddy Daughter Dance Night, on June 15 from 6:30 to8:30 p.m. at the Holiday Inn. Evening includes dancing, games, prizes, refreshments and lots of fun. Call Helen at 403-356-8893.
• Green Deer is the City of Red Deer campaign that encourages residents to clean up their neighbourhoods and local parks. Groups registering in the campaign are entered in the draw for a barbecue party. Register at all city recreation facilities or through Look and Book at www.reddeer.ca. The campaign runs from May 2 until June 19. Call Suzanne at 403-309-8411 for more information
• Red Deer and District SPCA fundraising events include Walk and Wag (instead of Bark at the Bend) on June 11 from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. at the SPCA office. Bring your family, friends and pets to enjoy the dog walkathon, scavenger hunt and festival. Pledge forms are available and the office and online at www.reddeerspca.com. Raffle Tickets on five baskets filled with $400 gift certificates, tickets and more will be sold at Bower Place Mall, Red Deer Regional Hospital and at the SPCA. Draw date is May 29. Catch and Release will be held on May 13 from 11 a.m. to 3 p.m. Drop in to the SPCA and get your favorite celebrities out of their dog kennels. For details and names of “prisoners” call 403-342-7722.
• Garage Sale for SPCA will go on May 27 to 29 at 5239 53 Ave (north of Superstore.) Donations can be dropped off on Mondays and Fridays, 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. between May 2 and 24. For more information, please call Brenda at 403-309-6374 or email email@example.com.
Multiple Sclerosis Society is now taking registrations for the Enerflex MS Walk on May 29, at Bower Ponds. For more details and pledge forms visits www.mswalks.ca or call Ellen at 403-346-0290.
• The Golden Circle Singers Spring Concert is May 13. Tickets, $6, are available at the Golden Circle. Coffee and fellowship to follow. For more information call Ruth at 403-309-5477.
• Wildrose Harmonizers Barbershop Chorus presents Champions of Harmony convention on May 27 and 28 at CrossRoads Church. May 28 chorus contest 9 a.m. and quartet contest 1 p.m. are open to the public for $10 each. The Show of Champions, including the 100 strong Alberta Barbershop Chorus will be held on May 28 at 7 p.m. Tickets, $20, are available from David, 403-342-1318 or Ron 403-347-2145.
• The Royal Canadian Circus will perform on May 10, 6:30 p.m. at the Enmax Centrium. Proceeds from the circus will go to The Rainbow Society of Alberta to fulfill the wishes of children with chronic or life-threatening illness. Tickets, $20, free for children under three, are available from Ticketmaster, Once Upon a Child or 1-800-268-7371.
• Summer Day Camps at Kerry Wood Nature Centre are now taking registrations. Both English and French programs are available. Call 403-346-2010 for more information.
Berry Architecture Wellness Bike Ride will take place on Aug. 27 in support of the Central Alberta Brain Injury Society. Choose a 50 km or 100 km supported route in Central Alberta. Registration form and ride information can be found at www.reddeer.cmha.ab.ca or www.cabis.info Register by July 31.
• Women of Excellence 2011 Gala Tickets are now on sale for June 13 event at The Capri Trade and Convention Centre. The Red Deer and District Community foundation will recognize women who have used their talent, vision and determination to make Central Alberta a better place. Cocktails start at 5:30 p.m., dinner at 6:30 and awards will be presented throughout the evening. For more information email firstname.lastname@example.org.
• Learning Disabilities Association, Red Deer Chapter, offers monthly education sessions for parents and caregivers of children with ADHD the third Wednesday of each month at the Learning Disabilities Association, 2nd floor, 5017 – 50 St., Red Deer. No cost to attend, but please preregister by calling Sheryl at 340-3885. May 11 topic is Nurturing Self Esteem and May 26 topic is Assistive Technology.
Stained Glass Class will be offered at the Golden Circle on Tuesdays, 9:30 to 11:30 a.m. starting May 17 for three weeks. You may have your choice of project. Instruction, supplies and equipment provided. Cost is $200; register at the Golden Circle front desk.
• Heart’s Desire Ladies Fundraising Gala takes place on May 12 at the Capri Centre in support of the Red Deer heart and Stroke Foundation. Enjoy and evening of elegance and live entertainment by singer songwriter Randi Boulton. Tickets for this ladies only event are $50, available by calling 403-342-4435.
• The Melting Pot Cultural Kitchen, an interactive live cooking show with guest chefs from different cultures each session, will be offered at The Hub on Ross. Upcoming dates are May 18 and June 15. Each session runs from 4:30 to 6:30 p.m. and costs $10 per person or all three dates for $25 per person. Pre-registration and pre-payment is required. Call Debbie at 403-342-4550, ext. 236 or email the.melting.pot.@hotmail.com.
• Teen Escape for ages 13 to 17 who have a parent or family member who lives with MS, is a three day getaway full of activities and adventure. Transportaion, accomodation, meals and activities are included in the $55 fee. Some subsidies are avaialble. For more information call 403-346-0290.
• De-Clutter for a Cause — donate gently used item to the Lacombe Victim Services garage sale to be held May 14, 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. at the vacant No Frills in Lacombe. Contact Royal Lepage Lifestyles Realty, 403-782-3171 or Cindy at 403-782-3279 for dates and hours to drop off donated items.