The Buffalo Sabres have suspended contract talks with first-round draft pick Zack Kassian after the forward was charged with assault for allegedly punching a man at a bar in Windsor, Ont.
General manager Darcy Regier says the team is in no way “abandoning” the player selected 13th overall in the NHL draft last year. He describes Kassian as being remorseful and adds the team will continue to work with him.
A police report says the 19-year-old Kassian was arrested at a patio bar in his hometown of Windsor early May 30. He is alleged to have punched a 20-year-old man, who sustained a bloody mouth and a chipped tooth.
Kassian’s agent, Paul Krepelka, says his client is scheduled to appear in court next month.